Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Hello, I've just went to the polling station to cast a vote in early presidential elections in Kazakhstan and decided to write a short essay on what it was like for me. Can you please check it?

Today is an election day in Kazakhstan. About a month ago our president Nursultan Nazarbayev called for early elections. But during the presidential race he didn't have any presidential campaign because he was very busy with his work and meetings. And there was no need in one since he probably knew he was going to win anyway.

The polling station was close to my house. It stationed in one high school. Voting started at 7 am but I decided no to go there early because I didn't want to stand in a long line waiting for my turn to vote. And by the way it's my first time voting in any such kind of elections. So I left home at 2 pm, and when I came there was basically no one voting except for me. I came to the table where all the plates with house numbers were. I found my number and the young lady asked for my ID card and a signature in her notebook. Then she gave me a ballot paper and directed to the voting booth where I took a pen from the table and put a mark near the candidate I liked the most. The whole procedure took about 2 minutes. I never thought choosing the future would be so fast.

Then I went home with a strange feeling thinking to myself that I didn't really do anything meaningful. The whole TV commercials and the fuss around the elections were so bright and funny and noisy. But the elections themselves turned out to be pretty simple and dull. Probably that's how it should be. I don't know. And I forgot to mention the weather. It was snowing really hard that day. Streets were all wet and grey. Probably it all added to my feelings about the elections. But I really hope that heavy snow has not darkened the presidential elections as a whole.

Thank you for reading.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I[STRIKE]'ve[/STRIKE] just went to the polling station to cast a vote in the early presidential elections in Kazakhstan and decided to write a short essay on what it was like for me. Can you please check it?

Today is an election day in Kazakhstan. About a month ago, our president Nursultan Nazarbayev called for early elections. But during the presidential race he chose not to have a presidential campaign because he was very busy with his work and meetings. And there was no need in one since he probably knew he was going to win anyway. All the other candidates were not [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]very popular and they were not trusted by the Kazakhstani people.

The polling station is (your first sentence is in the present) close to my house. It is located in a high school. Voting started at 7 am, but I decided not to go there early because I didn't want to stand in a long line waiting for my turn to vote. And by the way, it's my first time voting in any kind of elections. So I left home at 2 pm, and when I arrived at the station, there was basically no one voting except [STRIKE]for [/STRIKE]me. I went to the table where all the plates with house numbers were. I found my number and the young lady asked for my ID card and for a signature in her notebook. Then she gave me a ballot [STRIKE]paper[/STRIKE] and directed me to the voting booth where I took a pen from the table and put a mark near the candidate I liked the most. The whole procedure took about 2 minutes. I never thought choosing the future would be so fast.

Then I went home with a strange feeling, thinking to myself that I didn't really do anything meaningful. All the TV commercials and the fuss around the elections were so bright and funny (this is a strange word to use here -- how was it funny?) and noisy. But the elections themselves turned out to be pretty simple and dull. Probably that's how it should be. I don't know. And I forgot to mention the weather. It is (is it still today?) snowing really hard [STRIKE]that day[/STRIKE] today (you said this was "today" in the first sentence? your tenses have to be consistent). Streets are all wet and grey. Probably it all added to my feelings about the elections. But I really hope that heavy snow has not darkened the presidential elections as a whole.

Thank you for reading.

:-D

Dready

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Спасибо за замечания, Freezeframe. Что-то с временами я маху дал. А с артиклями всегда как по минному полю ходишь.

Status
Not open for further replies.