• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Native Language

When you create a forum profile here, there's a required choice of Native Language from a drop-down menu. You can choose only one and you cannot qualify it.

Usually when people ask me "What is your native language?" I pause and then go with an option that seems least problematic in the situation or with whatever I feel like that day. I don't have just one native language -- my "first" language was acquired simultaneously with another. These languages were used equally around me.

And my native language is different depending on how you define what makes the language "native". Is it the first language you acquired? Is it the language that is dominant for me? Is it the language in which you have native fluency? Is it the language that defines my sociolinguistic identity (internal and external)? If I go with some of these definitions, my native language is English.

Sometimes when I think about what is "my native language" I feel a bit of cognitive dissonance, part of which is the feeling of liminality and also of loss. I'm sure this is a common migrant experience.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any similar experiences and if they'd like to share.

cheers

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Native Language

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I feel a bit of cognitive dissonance, part of which is the feeling of liminality and also of loss.
    Nah, mate - you ain't a native speaker. Not if you talks like that.

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    Nah, mate - you ain't a native speaker. Not if you talks like that.
    Well, fivejedjon, here in Canada the word liminality is quite common and is often heard in places like supermarket checkout lines. Don't be a hater just because people in the colonies have better vocabulary.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, fivejedjon, here in Canada the word liminality is quite common and is often heard in places like supermarket checkout lines. Don't be a hater just because people in the colonies have better vocabulary.
    Look, mate - we behaves ourselves in supermarket Q's, and we don't use badder language, even if we does hafter Q for ages.

Hucky is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

When you create a forum profile here, there's a required choice of Native Language from a drop-down menu. You can choose only one and you cannot qualify it.

Usually when people ask me "What is your native language?" I pause and then go with an option that seems least problematic in the situation or with whatever I feel like that day. I don't have just one native language -- my "first" language was acquired simultaneously with another. These languages were used equally around me.

And my native language is different depending on how you define what makes the language "native". Is it the first language you acquired? Is it the language that is dominant for me? Is it the language in which you have native fluency? Is it the language that defines my sociolinguistic identity (internal and external)? If I go with some of these definitions, my native language is English.

Sometimes when I think about what is "my native language" I feel a bit of cognitive dissonance, part of which is the feeling of liminality and also of loss. I'm sure this is a common migrant experience.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any similar experiences and if they'd like to share.

cheers

I didnīt know that you had opened this thread prior to my last contribution to my thread "no staff for the has-beens", otherwise I would have dropped it here. As you ask for someone with a similar experience, I have to refer you to a lady quoted there. - I promise you striking similarities!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hucky View Post
    I didnīt know that you had opened this thread prior to my last contribution to my thread "no staff for the has-beens", otherwise I would have dropped it here. As you ask for someone with a similar experience, I have to refer you to a lady quoted there. - I promise you striking similarities!
    @ freezeframe:

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be a good idea to bring the problem to Red5's attention on the support forum.

Hucky is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to bring the problem to Red5's attention on the support forum.

I feel there is too much crypticness here. Please, let's be nice to one another. Hucky, if there's something on your mind, why not say it openly? It would cause less tension.

Sorry if nothing like that is going on and I'm meddling unnecessarily.

Dear birdeenīs call,

Just in brief, you are not meddling, whatsoever, if you are trying to help in good intent. The object of your appeal should be a matter of course, but it is worth calling it to mind again. At the time when you wrote these lines the matter must have seemed cryptic to you. Meanwhile, you will have got the necessary background information by reading the pertinent passages, thus connecting the dots.

Hucky

birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Please note that I never said I didn't understand what you'd been saying. I just didn't like the way you'd said that. I think that a simple

Hey, freezeframe, I noticed that the "native language" entry in your profile had changed. How is this possible?

would be more polite. I think it's better to say things explicitly, when it comes to personal matters. This way we have a better chance of avoiding conficts.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a problem with a single choice list- I am afraid the software is inflexible and doesn't offer the possibility to give more than one option. We used to have a box that people could write in, but the results were a mess, but at least this way, we get one language chosen that is spelt consistently, and no one claims to be a native speaker of asdf or a web address.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast