Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    [QUOTE=freezeframe;734482]Concrete doesn't mean "something you can hold". Atoms are concrete. Jupiter is concrete.
    Wow! Hostile,inappropriate,rude...quite a handful! .I type in blocs only when I launch through my tiny-keyed mobile phone which makes cap lock/unlock a bit herculean.
    If fire is concrete because of its "physical properties" then air,water,gas,flame,oil,ray,reflection,refraction, etc are all concrete nouns,aren't they?

  2. #12
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    [QUOTE=rhapsomatrics;734795]
    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Concrete doesn't mean "something you can hold". Atoms are concrete. Jupiter is concrete.
    Wow! Hostile,inappropriate,rude...quite a handful! .I type in blocs only when I launch through my tiny-keyed mobile phone which makes cap lock/unlock a bit herculean.
    If fire is concrete because of its "physical properties" then air,water,gas,flame,oil,ray,reflection,refraction, etc are all concrete nouns,aren't they?
    Yes, very good! You're catching on.

  3. #13
    rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    Going by your physical property theory,don't you think that proper,common and even collective nouns all have physical properties? Or,can we say they are also concrete?

  4. #14
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsomatrics View Post
    Going by your physical property theory,don't you think that proper,common and even collective nouns all have physical properties? Or,can we say they are also concrete?

    Thank you for crediting me with inventing the wheel!

    Nouns don't have any physical properties. Noun is an abstract noun.

    And I personally don't plan on engaging in a spirited debate on this topic.

  5. #15
    rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    Or,maybe we could say "all nouns,excluding abstract,are concrete...I think the truth is that we all are either too by-the-book or too indolent to accept the fact that some nouns fall outside our perennial coverage areas(abstract,proper,common,collective,countable, non-countable etc) I think some nouns fit into more than one of the above-listed classes.Where does this lead us?... improvised pairings such as NON-COUNTABLE CONCRETE,COUNTABLE CONCRETE etc.Let's try and re-classify these words:fire,gas,molecules

  6. #16
    rhapsomatrics is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • Nigeria
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Thank you for crediting me with inventing wheel!
    Nouns don't have any physical properties. Noun is an abstract noun.
    And I personally don't plan on engagin in a spirited debate on this topic.
    I thought you said "fire",which is a noun,had/has physical properties?Or,has it lost them? Anyway,thanks for your time. Lest I forget,the word "noun" is not an abstract noun but a proper noun since it's the name of a particular part of speech

  7. #17
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: in case of fire/a fire/emergency/an emergency

    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsomatrics View Post
    I thought you said "fire",which is a noun,had/has physical properties?Or,has it lost them? Anyway,thanks for your time. Lest I forget,the word "noun" is not an abstract noun but a proper noun since it's the name of a particular part of speech
    This was a very amusing post. Thank you.

    There are many resources available on this topic. I recommend them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. an emergency
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Nov-2009, 05:51
  2. [Grammar] In case of emergency
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Dec-2008, 04:48
  3. emergency
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Jul-2008, 12:04
  4. In the case of a fire,........
    By Aieda_Chiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-Dec-2006, 04:53
  5. emergency
    By alexandra 18 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jun-2006, 17:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •