Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
First of all, I do know that need can be used both as a modal and as a normal verb. (I also do know that need as a modal verb is now commonly used only in negative forms, as the opposite to must.)

Could
is the past form of the modal verb can.

What is the past form of the modal verb need? Is it needed -- like the past form of the non-modal need?

Thanks!

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
First of all, I do know that need can be used both as a modal and as a normal verb. (I also do know that need as a modal verb is now commonly used only in negative forms, as the opposite to must.)

Could
is the past form of the modal verb can.

What is the past form of the modal verb need? Is it needed -- like the past form of the non-modal need?

Thanks!

Modal verb need has no past tense. You have to use need not have (needn't have) + past participle.

enthink

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Modal verb need has no past tense.

Do you mean today or ever? I'm interested even in archaic forms.

For example, "Needed he be so foolish?" Could something like that have been used centuries ago?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do you mean today or ever? I'm interested even in archaic forms.

For example, "Needed he be so foolish?" Could something like that have been used centuries ago?

1. I only speak modern English. Perhaps someone else here might know about past forms.

2. We use the modal verb need in questions and negatives.

I don't know if it's possible to use it in positive declarative sentences. Someone else might know. I suspect, if it's used like that, it's rare and archaic.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think so. I think that this might have been expressed by, "Need he have been so foolish?".

If you are fortunate, somebody with real knowledge of the history and development of English may respond. Normally, however, we answer questions on the English of today.

Status
Not open for further replies.