Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 152
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Please look at the sentence below.

    According ti a magazine article I read recently. .....live in an age of increasing leasure.

    The are 4 choices there (presently, at the moment, now and at this time). Why the answers sections suggests that "now" is the only right answer. Thanks.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by olegv View Post
    Please look at the sentence below.

    According ti a magazine article I read recently. .....live in an age of increasing leasure.

    The are 4 choices there (presently, at the moment, now and at this time). Why the answers sections suggests that "now" is the only right answer. Thanks.
    None of them is correct. There is something missing.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 152
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by olegv View Post
    Please look at the sentence below.

    According ti a magazine article I read recently. .....live in an age of increasing leasure.

    The are 4 choices there (presently, at the moment, now and at this time). Why the answers sections suggests that "now" is the only right answer. Thanks.
    I have missed "we" so that the sentence is "According to a magazine article I read recently, we........live in an age of increasing leasure" Please explain unde those conditions. Thanks

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by olegv View Post
    I have missed "we" so that the sentence is "According to a magazine article I read recently, we........live in an age of increasing leaisure" Please explain under those conditions. Thanks
    I think they all could work (depending on context) but the other choices would have to go before "we".

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I think they all could work (depending on context) but the other choices would have to go before "we".
    Yes, with "we" where it is, only "now" works.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Netherlands
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 217
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    NATchr

    we currently live in an age of increasing leisure.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, with "we" where it is, only "now" works.
    On reflection, I'd say that "presently" could work as well.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    On reflection, I'd say that "presently" could work as well.
    Doesn't it sound convoluted to you? Presently seems to me to work better in the middle of a sentence when it means "soon", not when it means "at present time".*

    *not scientifically researched

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,083
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Doesn't it sound convoluted to you? Presently seems to me to work better in the middle of a sentence when it means "soon", not when it means "at present time".*

    *not scientifically researched
    It is used to mean "at the present time". I don't particularly like it, but it is used.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: Difference between presentlt, at the moment, now

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    It is used to mean "at the present time". I don't particularly like it, but it is used.
    Not disputing that.

Similar Threads

  1. at the moment vs right know and about vs of
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2010, 15:41
  2. at - in this moment
    By ripley in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Dec-2008, 13:10
  3. help me! -best moment-
    By Bettyka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 31-Aug-2007, 15:21
  4. M. M. moment
    By rudo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-Mar-2006, 13:42
  5. At the present moment and at the moment
    By bmo in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Aug-2004, 20:34

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •