Current Location
Netherlands
hi, can you please help me and correct the letter below:

Our ref: xxx

Your ref: zzzzzz

Dear Sir / Madam,

Please find enclosed a countersigned copy of the following orders

zzzzz

In case of any doubt, please do not hesitate to revert to the undersigned on mobile + 111111111111 or at land line + 222222

For next time can I ask you , to address all your signed sof to ( my ) attention of A. B.

Yours faithfully,

A.B

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Zsoka

As a NES, but not a
teacher, it all sounds OK to me but I would suggest the following modification to the last sentence:

"To expedite matters, could I ask to address all future correspondence for my attention [or for the attention of the undersigned]."

Hope this helps
R21

Zsoka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Thank you Route21.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was under the impression that "revert" was Indian English. An American would say 'Huh?"

This is an EXTREMELY formal letter. A typical American letter would say "If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call me either on my cell at 1234566 or on my landline at 23456680."

We tend to mock things written in a way that refers to the sender as "the undersigned." You don't want any personal contact and are not intersted in foming a relationship with the person when you call youself "the undersigned."

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Barb_D

I agree. I would never personally use the term "undersigned", but have often seen it used in the Middle East, particularly in documents from government-related companies/entities - maybe, as you say, due to their regular use of "Indian English".

Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.