• English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

:grab:

You guys are all so very, very cute! I just wanna grab you up and hug ya'll.

jwschang Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    :grab:

You guys are all so very, very cute! I just wanna grab you up and hug ya'll.
    It's so interesting that I'm going to add my two cents' worth (abandoning what I should be doing instead).

1. If I have understood it correctly, what Ron meant by saying that IT is used to refer to the unknown may be explained as follows.
    2. There are two pronouns used for a very specific purpose in English: THERE and IT.
    3. THERE is used to introduce a sentence or a clause where there is no available subject otherwise. E.g. There is rain in the hills (or: The hills are raining). One usage is when we make an observation or have found out about something: "There is a cat on the roof" is more effective than "A cat is on the roof" as an observation or discovery.
    4. "There has to be a reason for it" (only alternative: It must have a reason behind it). BUT, here "It" is known, referring to something that speaker and listener are talking about.
    5. IT is ALMOST similarly used. IT stands for the words following the verb (especially BE) where otherwise there would be no subject, such as existence of a situation or natural occurences (where the subject agent is "UNKNOWN", as what Ron meant). E.g.
    (a) It is going to rain soon.
    (b) It was very quiet out there.
    (c) It looks likely that they will arrive early. (How to say: That they will arrive early looks likely!)
    (d) It has been a long journey (to) there. (How to say: A long journey there it has been!)
    6. The "Question(s)" and "It/Them" sentence raised is not a situation of an UNKNOWN subject. It/Them refers to Question(s) to be posted, so it's KNOWN what subject we are talking about; the actual questions to be posted are not known by the receiver (he/she/they haven't got them yet!) but I understand this is not what Ron meant by UNKNOWN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2