Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm wondering what order I should arrange the adjectives in the sentence below in. According to some grammars, we put adjectives in the following way:

opinion - size - age - shape - colour - origin - material - purpose (compound noun)

Jill's wearing a tutrleneck sweater today. It's old, it's scruffy but pretty tight-fitting.
Is 'tight-fitting' an opinion adjective? Or a shape one? :-?
Should I say

She's wearing a scruffy old tight-fitting turtleneck sweater?

I'd be grateful for any comments.
Thank you.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She's wearing a scruffy old tight-fitting turtleneck sweater?

I don't know of any rules, but this is the way I would say it.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you!

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I have a trick that could be useful!!!
The order of adjectives is the following: Opinion, Size, Age, Shape, Colour, Oirigin and Material. Why did I write every first letters in capitals? Easy... because if you take each of the capital letter you can form a word: OSASCOM. It`s useful when you have to remember this kind of rules by heart.

There are two pairs of letters repeated (O-O and S-S), but practice will make you remember. This is the way adjectives are classified. You may find that Purpose is another characteristic, but then you just have to add it to the end of the word (OSASCOMP).

Don`t worry because you will never have to order so many adjectives (at the most, you will be asked to order 4 adjectives). Here is an example (it contains all the adjectives):

John has recently bought a wonderful, tiny, brand-new, dynamic, white, European, metal, sports car.

:up: Best wishes and Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.