Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
  1. Donald's pet name is duckduck.
  2. Donald's nickname is duckduck.

a/ Are the above sentence the same in meaning?

b/ Are pet name and nickname interchangeable?

ju

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how other cultures use "pet name" but it would not be suitable here for names used outside a family.

Just say "nickname" in the U.S.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Ju.
As Barb says, this will vary between cultures, but this is how I understand the terms.

A nickname is usually given to somebody by their family, friends, workmates or others that are acquainted with them, or sometimes by people who don't know them very well at all. A nickname is often used by very many people and can become the name that somebody is best known by.

A pet name more commonly occurs between lovers, husband and wife, family members or close friends. Unlike a nickname, it is typically used by one person towards another, or within a family, and would rarely be used by anyone else outside the relationship or family group.
A person might also have a pet name for a car, an item of clothing, a project, or any other thing that they have a particular fondness for or personal involvement in. Normally only that person uses the pet name when referring to these things.

I don't say that there is always a clear distinction, I think someone might describe a nickname as a pet name if there was a distinct fondness in their attitude to the person named, even if they didn't know them personally.

I keep making little changes to this post, so I'll leave it there and hope these notes are useful.

not a teacher

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree with JMurray.

Sweetness is my pet name for my daughter.

Because of the speed of his play, snooker player Alex Higgins gained the nickname The Hurricane.

They don't come close to being interchangeable.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A pet name more commonly occurs between lovers, husband and wife, family members or close friends. Unlike a nickname, it is typically used by one person towards another, or within a family, and would rarely be used by anyone else outside the relationship or family group.

And some might only use the pet name in private, so other people may not even be aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.