Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Slovenia
Hi!

I have two questions:

in the following sentence: “Domestic suppliers in particular have been concerned that, since Agrokor owns some well-known food brands, they will lose shelf space in what is a key retailer for them.”

Is 'have been concerned' a Present Perfect Progressive Tense? Or is 'concerned' here used as an adjective and is it then the Present Perfect Simple Tense?

The same goes in the following case for 'have been connected': “The move is said to have been connected to his opposition of selling Laško’s stake in Mercator to Agrokor.”

The other problem I'm having is to make the grammar tree of the following sentence: “Former Economy Minister Andrej Vizjak says it is perfectly legitimate for Slovenia not to allow the merger between the two giants.”

In the Subject, which word is used as Headword, and what function has the 'not to allow ... two giants' part? Is it the DO of the dependent statement or is some sort of apposition (?) of the Subject of the dependent statement?

I would very much appreciate your help!!!
Thank you!

Mary

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
“Domestic suppliers in particular have been concerned that [...] they will lose shelf space in what is a key retailer for them.”

Is 'have been concerned' a Present Perfect Progressive Tense? Or is 'concerned' here used as an adjective and is it then the Present Perfect Simple Tense?

In either case it is not a progressive tense - there is no -ing form. It is either the present perfect passive of the verb 'concern', or the present perfect (active) of the verb 'be' plus the adjective 'concerned'. Similarly, in the example below, we have either the perfect infinitive passive of the verb 'connect', or the perfect infinitive (active) of the verb 'be' plus the adjective 'connected'.

The same goes in the following case for 'have been connected': “The move is said to have been connected to his opposition [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] to selling Laško’s stake in Mercator to Agrokor.”
I feel that we probably have an adjective in the first example and a verb in the second.

Does it really matter? That is not meant flippantly.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Slovenia
I feel that we probably have an adjective in the first example and a verb in the second.

Does it really matter? That is not meant flippantly.
Thank you very much for your reply!

Well, it does matter since I have to analyse the construction of the Verb phrase...
But you already answered my question :) so Thank you!

Do you have any clue about the grammar tree?

Greets,
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.