A) Reported command:
1) " Study lesson by lesson " The teacher.
The teacher adviced us to study lesson by lesson.
2) " Help your parents" She told me.
She told me to help my parents.
3) " Don't eat gum " The teacher.
The teacher ordered me not to eat gum.
4) " Don't talk " She commanded us.
She commanded us not to talk.
B) Immediate reporting:
1) " I've two sisters " Victoria says.
Victoria says that she has two sisters.
2) " Laura is polite " I think.
I think that Laura is polite.
3) " I like English " Nicole says.
Nicole says that she likes English.
C) Changes of Adverbs and Models:
1) Direct speech
2) Indirect speech
Direct Speech | Indirect speech
Will | Would
Shall | Should
Can | Could
Must(had to) | Had to
May | Might
Now | Then
Here | There
This | That
These | Those
Today | That day
(( :D I failed at doing the table above xD ))
I hope that the examples upthere helped you with understanding the Reported speech!
- Ehab Isaac
Last edited by EhabIsaac; 10-Apr-2011 at 10:50.
John said, "I will see you here today". - John said that he will see me here today..
Context is very important here.