Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    iamtime is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Home is a thought

    Hi,

    I wonder which sentence below is grammatically correct,

    1.
    Home is a thought, tears you apart, scatters you to - distant places.

    2.
    Home is a thought that tears you apart then scatters you to - distant places.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    luschen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    Hi,

    I wonder which sentence below is grammatically correct,

    1.
    Home is a thought, tears you apart, scatters you to - distant places.

    2.
    Home is a thought that tears you apart then scatters you to - distant places.

    Thanks.
    Hi,

    I am not a teacher, but I will give my opinion.

    #1 is not a grammatically correct sentence, but could be part of a poem or lyrics to a song

    #2 is correct except for the use of to. One cannot scatter something to somewhere. A better choice would be

    Home is a thought that tears you apart then scatters you across distant places.

  3. #3
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    Quote Originally Posted by luschen View Post
    #2 is correct except for the use of to. One cannot scatter something to somewhere.
    I'm curious about this. Why not? You cannot scatter to some specific location but "scatter to distant places" is plausible enough. Or "scatter to far away lands"... also seems okay to me.
    "Scatter to the four winds" = scatter in all four directions...


  4. #4
    iamtime is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I'm curious about this. Why not? You cannot scatter to some specific location but "scatter to distant places" is plausible enough. Or "scatter to far away lands"... also seems okay to me.
    "Scatter to the four winds" = scatter in all four directions...

    Thanks so much, freezeframe!

  5. #5
    iamtime is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    Quote Originally Posted by luschen View Post
    Hi,

    I am not a teacher, but I will give my opinion.

    #1 is not a grammatically correct sentence, but could be part of a poem or lyrics to a song

    #2 is correct except for the use of to. One cannot scatter something to somewhere. A better choice would be

    Home is a thought that tears you apart then scatters you across distant places.
    Thanks for your opinion, luschen

  6. #6
    konungursvia's Avatar
    konungursvia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I'm curious about this. Why not? You cannot scatter to some specific location but "scatter to distant places" is plausible enough. Or "scatter to far away lands"... also seems okay to me.
    "Scatter to the four winds" = scatter in all four directions...

    I agree the preposition sounds plausible here.

  7. #7
    luschen is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Home is a thought

    I too agree with Freezeframe, thank you for correcting me.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Difference between 'I am home' and 'I am at home'
    By muthu_912 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Feb-2010, 12:47
  2. 'home' versus 'at home'
    By Filip in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2009, 15:52
  3. old folks' home =nursing home?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 14:38
  4. Correct Usage home or at home?
    By A V Veerkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-May-2008, 12:38
  5. home is home be it ever so homely
    By mangosalat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2008, 10:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •