Hey everyone,

I would appreciate it if you would check for mistakes in this letter, or if you have any ideas for improvement, that would be great. Here it is:

Dear Lucy Gidman,

My name is John Summers and Iím 19 years old. Ever since I was a child, Iíve wanted to work with dogs; itís just something that Iíve always been drawn to. Unfortunately, I left school a year early due to severe bullying, which resulted in me receiving no GCSEs. It was a shame, because academically, I was well on course to achieving good grades.

I then started working with my uncle in the floor laying trade, but after a year or so, I decided that I didnít want to continue doing it and not know what I would have ended up doing. So, I enrolled at Oaklands College and done the Level Two National Certificate in Animal Care. I finished the course with overall distinction and achieved best overall student. In conjunction with the course, I volunteered many hours per week at a local dog training school. Whilst there, I learnt an unbelievable amount about training dogs, I read many books that I had recommended to me, I attended many workshops, and in many ways the experience was very positive.

I found out that a major part of pet dog training is speaking in large groups. Unfortunately I have a stutter, so I found this difficult and stressful. At that stage in my life, because of my stutter, I had low self-esteem. Rather naively, I thought that because of my apprehension about speaking in front of large numbers, the dog training path was not for me. I regrettably didnít continue to pursue the path with dogs. Foolishly, I let my stutter give me a negative outlook on my abilities in the field.

I thought I should pursue a different route, so I did. I got accepted onto a Level Three Print Based Media Course, Iím currently in the first year. I chose this as writing is one of my hobbies, so I thought Iíd give it a shot and see if I enjoyed it. Things are going just fine, itís not the most stimulating course in the world, but grades are currently good and learning media software is rewarding.

Anyway, I fancied going for a walk at a park I donít usually go to the other day, it was pretty dull outside, but I went anyhow. As I was walking down the street, I saw a woman with a guide dog; I knew she was fully blind as I remember her visiting my primary school when I was a child. To witness the amazing bond with the dog, and the freedom she had was amazing. It reignited a belief in working with dogs.

I know for sure that to be an assistant dog trainer would be ideal for me, a dream. I want to work with dogs, thereís no escaping it. Iíve been working on my stutter, using therapy techniques and public speaking practice, I have no doubts I have the communication abilities to prosper. I speak with practically full fluency now.

I have a passion for this field, working with dogs and subsequently helping people is what I want to do with all my heart.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Yours sincerely,
John Summers.