Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,

I have a cat which/who loves being pampered. What he loves most is my caressing/petting him.

Could I use the relative who when I refer to my cat, who I love to bits and don't like treating as a thing?

What do you call a cat which is so affectionate? A cuddly cat?

As I understand caressing or petting is with the palm of your hand. However, what my cat really loves, is that I move my fingers around his belly, like in a tickling movement. Can you say I tickle my cat? Or is tickle used exclusively to make somebody laugh? Can you fondle a cat with that meaning?

As you can see, I'm really confused about this!

Thanks,

^..^

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher.

I would use "who."

"Affectionate" is a good word to describe a cat who likes to give and receive attention.

I think "petting" can cover any of the actions you describe, not just those where the palm of the hand is used. "Tickle" doesn't sound right to me.

"Fondle" is almost exclusively used for touching (usually unwanted) in a sexual way. I would avoid it. You rarely hear is used in a positive sense.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
However, what my cat really loves, is that I move my fingers around his belly, like in a tickling movement. Can you say I tickle my cat? Or is tickle used exclusively to make somebody laugh? Can you fondle a cat with that meaning?

It's called a "belly rub".

And please, please don't say "fondle" when you're talking about your cat. :-?

ophiuchus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thank you both.

And I promise I won't fondle any cat! :shock:

Status