'Temperament', 'Mood', 'Nature', and 'Character'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Would anyone please tell me how one can tell the difference between them? I'm looking for some meaning element which makes each of them specific to be used in a different way.

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,
Would anyone please tell me how one can tell the difference between them? .
We are into grey areas here. I suggest that you try some dictionary definitions, and then compose sentences to post here for comment.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'll give it a shot. To paraphrase luschen, I'm not a psychiatrist but I've had my head shrunk. :-D

Mood is an emotional state you're in. Moods change and they're not innate; they are temporary states. Ex. happy, sad, angry, depressed

Temperament is the innate part of your personality (or so they say) while character includes learned/conditioned aspects. How temperament is classified depends on what psychological model you're using.

Nature is what is essential about you. This isn't a psychological term the way the other three are. A common phrase is "nature vs. nurture" -- a division that separates what is inborn about us and what is socialized.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'd add the word "disposition". Pretty much like the words character or nature. The word "mood" is quite the opposite, one may swing from one mood to another, but it is very hard, if it is not impossible, to change for one to change his/her nature. But I'll never say never.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.