[Vocabulary] What does "nominate" exactly mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello everyone,

I'm an English learner from Japan.
I would like to learn how to use the word "nominate" properly.

When someone is nominated for a position, does it mean he/she is already chosen to take that poision or they are still among the candidates?

I find different translations in my mother language for this sentence pattern and am a little bit confused...

Thanks in advance.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

If someone is nominated for a position, he is not already chosen to take that position, he is still a candidate.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
What SirG says is most often the case, but sometimes "nominate" can mean to appoint, especially if the nominating is done by a person in power.
"The Chief Executive has nominated his second-in-charge to address the annual general meeting".
"The North Korean leader has nominated his son as his successor".

not a teacher

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use "appointed" for those types, where an executive leader names a person for a position.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Agreeing with Dave, even the results of the "election" are a given (in the case of, say, if Mao Zedong had announced that he was nominating his eldest son Skippy for the position of Chairman) the use of the word "nominate" indicates that there will be more than one candidate and that there will be a vote to decide a winner. :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello everyone,

I'm an English learner from Japan.
I would like to learn how to use the word "nominate" properly.

When someone is nominated for a position, does it mean he/she is already chosen to take that poision or they are still among the candidates?

I find different translations in my mother language for this sentence pattern and am a little bit confused...

Thanks in advance.

Nominate comes from the French, nommer, to name. This does not mean to give a new name, as to a child, but to provide the name of a person you think would be suited to a job.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I would use "appointed" for those types, where an executive leader names a person for a position.
Agreeing with Dave

SoothingDave & Ouisch.
To some extent I agree and might use 'appoint' in those cases myself. I am saying that 'nominate' is sometimes used when the meaning is 'appoint'. Not all dictionaries give this meaning but many do.

nominate
Shorter Oxford: 4. To appoint (a person) by name to some office or duty.
CollinsLanguage.com: 2. to appoint (someone) to an office or position,
BusinessDictionary.com: authorize or designate for an office, position, or role. (it defines 'designate' as 'appointed to a job but not yet working').
FreeDictionary.com: 2. To designate or appoint to an office, responsibility, or honor.
Encarta World English Dictionary: 2. to appoint somebody to a position, or make somebody responsible for a duty.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you all for your informative answers.

I also thought myself that 'appoint' would be useful in avoiding the confusion.
It's very good to hear all your views - I'm glad my understanding was on the same wavelength.

In passing, like the examples JMurray has cited, my Cambridge Learner's Dictionary shows the meaning in question as "To choose someone for a job or to do something".

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.