• China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default brown and number

Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask.

No.1

When I was watching a movie Down with Love there was a dialogue which I didn't understand. I can only roughly write down the dialogue:
    A: Tonight Barbara is going down. I've got exactly whre I want her. Here's he title to next week's cover: Block on Barbara penetrating the myth.
    B: We have to set it on brown rubber ( I am not quite sure of this word. It should mean the cover of a book or something like that).
    My question is: why "brown" . Does this colour have a special association?

No.1

When somebody says " I know your number" does it mean I know everything about you?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: brown and number

[1] 'brown' refers to the color of rubber printing plates. Rubber relief plate technology, also called flexography (1952), used fast drying ink.

[2] "I know your number" means, I know what you're up to; I know your game plan.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: brown and number

Dear Casiopea,
    Thank you very much for your explanation. I understand the second one but I still want to ask about the first one.
    Does 'brown' refers to the color of rubber printing plates a fixed colour? What I meant is that all the rubber printing plates are of this colour, right? If not, I guess 'brown' has special meaning just as blue can mean 'sad' etc.
    The background information of the dialogue is that they were talking about how a man made a girl who didn't believe love fall in love with him. So the second man said We have to set it on brown rubber. Does my assumption make any sense?
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    [1] 'brown' refers to the color of rubber printing plates. Rubber relief plate technology, also called flexography (1952), used fast drying ink.

[2] "I know your number" means, I know what you're up to; I know your game plan.