[Cover Letter] Can I say "I got a distinction average for my postgraduate study"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peng803

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Can I say "I got a distinction average for my postgraduate study"? If I write it on my cover letter, is that correct? Or I should say " I got average distinction" ? Is there any other formal words that I can use to replace the word 'got'? Thanks in advance!

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

received
earned
was awarded

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Can I say "I got a distinction average for my postgraduate study"? If I write it on my cover letter, is that correct? Or I should say " I got average distinction" ? Is there any other formal words that I can use to replace the word 'got'? Thanks in advance!

Can you tell us what a "distinction average" is?

peng803

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
HD(high distinction)=80-100,
D(distinction)=70-80,
C(credit)=60-70,
P(pass)=50-60.

My university use them as the grading system. I just google "distinction average" and find that some people say " I got a distinction average ". I don't know whether it is correct or not.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Susiedqq has given you excellent alternatives in post #2, but you should be certain that the term "distinction average" is familiar to those who receive the cover letter. I doubt that anyone in the US, for example, has heard that term. You could say that you graduated "with distinction." Another thing to consider is that grading systems differ from country to country; seventy to eighty is not considered exceptional in the US nor in many other countries. It is, therefore, better to keep these numbers to yourself, as they can easily be interpreted incorrectly.

peng803

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Guys, thank you so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.