Thread: Problems

Rok Vermont Guest

Default Problems

1. What does 'had been flung to the breeze' mean? The "Dillingham" had been flung to the breeze during a former period of prosperity when its possessor was being paid $30 per week.

2. What does 'on went her old? mean? (--and stood while a tear or two splashed on the worn red carpet. On went her old brown jacket; on went her old brown hat.)

3. What does 'Mne. Sofronie' and 'looked the "Sofronie"' mean? (Where she stopped the sign read: 'Mne. Sofronie. Hair Goods of All Kinds. One flight up Della ran, and collected herself, panting. Madame, large, too withe, chilly, hardly looked the 'Sofronie'.)

4. What does 'but that was not among them' mean? (The magi brought valuable gifts, but that was not among them.)

5. What does 'had me going' mean? (But if you'll unwrap that pacage you may see why you had me going a while at first.)

Thanx

mykwyner is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Problems

1.Flung to the breeze means left to random chance, without purpose or direction.

2.On went means he or she put on. We use this kind of consturction for lyrical effect. In came the new, out went the old. Up rose freedom, down fell tyranny.

3. Sorry, I don't know that one. There is obviously some sort of verbal irony at work here, but I don't understand the reference.

4. This means "but that (the thing we were discussing previously) was not among (included with the gifts) them (the gifts brought by the Magi).

5. You had me going means that you had me excited, or frightened, or worried, etc. in anticipation of an unknown thing. This saying is usually used when someone has had some kind of trick or joke played on them.