Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"My boyfriend and I have been going out for 2 years next month. In the beginning when we started dating,things were perfect. After that he started getting controlling. Telling me what to wear, who i can't talk to which was all guys and mostly all girls too, telling me i couldn't go anywhere, he wanted me to take pictures every 15 minutes at home so he knows i'm not with a guy,etc...the list goes on."

Is it grammatically incorrect or just used informally in the first sentence? Does it sound foreign?

Last edited:

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am a native speaker so I will comment. I would say yes and yes. The first sentence is grammatically incorrect, but I think this type of error is very common in informal speech. In fact, I did not catch the error until I looked up the definition of future perfect progressive tense. It does not sound foreign to me.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am a native speaker so I will comment. I would say yes and yes. The first sentence is grammatically incorrect, but I think this type of error is very common in informal speech. In fact, I did not catch the error until I looked up the definition of future perfect progressive tense. It does not sound foreign to me.

So people in the States could informally use the present perfect and the present perfect progressive to talk about events in the future?

1)"I've been in this country for 2 years next month."

OR

2)"I've been working for this company 5 years next month."

Would it work with other time defenitions " in two weeks", "by Friday"?

Would it mean the same, if there was written "I'll be going out with my boyfriend for 2 years next month?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's the kind of form you will find in colloquial speech.

I'll be going out with my boyfriend for 2 years next month
This sounds a bit strange to me; if the speaker is prepared to use this form, then why not go the whole way and use will have been going? This strikes me as less natural than using the present perfect progressive.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's the kind of form you will find in colloquial speech.

This sounds a bit strange to me; if the speaker is prepared to use this form, then why not go the whole way and use will have been going? This strikes me as less natural than using the present perfect progressive.

Would 1) and 2 ) in post #3 sound less odd? Would it work with other time defenitions " in two weeks", "by Friday" etc.?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would 1) and 2 ) in post #3 sound less odd? Would it work with other time defenitions " in two weeks", "by Friday" etc.?
None of this sounds natural to me. This isn't the place for the present perfect progressive.
The only justification for it is as an afterthought. "We've been going out for 2 years ... next month."

Status
Not open for further replies.