View Poll Results: If he is such a good doctor,...

Voters
1379. This poll is closed
  • he should have diagnosed the illness.

    665 48.22%
  • he would have diagnosed the illness.

    327 23.71%
  • Either

    387 28.06%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 64
  1. #41
    hanyelblasy is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    if he was such a good doctor, he should (have to)( its a must to)have diagnosed the illnes, but if he was not such a good doctor he would not have diagnosed the illness.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    For number two I would say, "If he was such a good doctor he would have diagnosed the illness." (presumably, he didn't diagnose the illness.)
    Quote Originally Posted by dduck View Post
    The second example makes no sense to me.

    I'd think it should be:

    "If he were such a good doctor, he would have diagnosed the illness"

    Iain
    Then, is it "If he was or were a good doctor"?
    Which one is more proper?
    (((and proper or appropriate :)))) ???

  3. #43
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    42,706
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    In formal language 'were' is preferred. In less formal langauge either can be used.

  4. #44
    salas1907 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    hi every one! I think it is 'should have 'it cant be' would have done '.... Because we use 'would have done' in type 3 in conditional sentences.should have done in this sentence does not indicate past....

  5. #45
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    For number two I would say, "If he was such a good doctor he would have diagnosed the illness." (presumably, he didn't diagnose the illness.)
    This doesn't make sense because it makes it sound like he is not a doctor anymore, which is not stated.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Hello everyone. can anyone show me the difference between ( ton - and tonne ")

    thanks a lot

  7. #47
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by Rwanbedo View Post
    Hello everyone. can anyone show me the difference between ( ton - and tonne ")
    They are different spellings of the same word. One is AE ("ton") and the other is BE ("tonne").

    ~R

  8. #48
    diana monzon is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Quote Originally Posted by dduck View Post
    The second example makes no sense to me.

    I'd think it should be:

    "If he were such a good doctor, he would have diagnosed the illness"

    Iain

    Yeah! I agree with what you say=) is he is such a good doctor he would diagnose the illness' it sounds like future and we are saying what he didin't

  9. #49
    aggelos is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Greek
      • Home Country:
      • Greece
      • Current Location:
      • Greece
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    If he is such a good doctor...: the use of the present tense here is supposed to mean something to this effect: People say he is a very good doctor. Ok, I'll accept that, but why then did he fail to diagnose the illness? If was/were had been used, this part of the meaning would have been lost.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    137
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Really Mixed Conditionals

    Difficult. I chose that one because the other one refers to past time and would require 'If he were' as a condition-clause; but I would find it hard to give a reason for 'should' in the main clause, perhaps 'expectation', but I'm not really sure.
    There's something I must be doing wrong because I can't get access to the other posts in the thread before sending in mine. What's the real procedure, you read them and then you vote or just the other way round?. I say so, because maybe I'm saying things that have already been said and discussed, in that case, sorry and forgive me for being so clumsy. Thanks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Conditionals
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-Feb-2007, 10:01
  2. sentence transformation + mixed conditional
    By hela in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Apr-2004, 19:59
  3. Mixed Conditionals
    By Red5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Nov-2003, 02:34
  4. Conditionals
    By abrilsp in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2003, 04:41
  5. Mixed conditionals
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2003, 22:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •