Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: News article

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 74
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    News article

    Hello people,

    I was reading an article on Barack Obama's passive attitude towards gun control. I understand the gist of the artcle but there was one sentense that didn't grammatically make sense to me.

    Two years of silence suggest Obama feels hemmed in by the zeal of the gun lobby, whose aversion to any Second Amendment limitations are widely thought to have backfired on Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

    In the second half, I believe "whose aversion" is the subjest and "are" the verb of the sentense but it appears to me that the verb should be "is" because the subject is singular.
    Or is there anything I'm missing...??

    Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Kengo; 19-Apr-2011 at 09:23.

  1. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: News article

    Quote Originally Posted by Kengo View Post
    Hello people,

    I was reading an article on Barack Obama's passive attitude towards gun control. I understand the gist of the artcle but there was one sentense that didn't grammatically make sense to me.

    Two years of silence suggest Obama feels hemmed in by the zeal of the gun lobby, whose aversion to any Second Amendment limitations are widely thought to have backfired on Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

    In the second half, I believe "whose aversion" is the subjest and "are" the verb of the sentense but it appears to me that the verb should be "is" because the subject is singular.
    Or is there anything I'm missing...??

    Any help would be appriciated.
    Hi there,

    You didn't miss anything. The journalist made a "slip of the tongue" under the influence of "limitations" and wrote, therefore, a plural verb.

    Greetings,

    Charliedeut

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,079
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: News article

    "The gun lobby (a group of people who like guns) are..."

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,312
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: News article

    Quote Originally Posted by Kengo View Post
    Hello people,

    I was reading an article on Barack Obama's passive attitude towards gun control. I understand the gist of the artcle but there was one sentense that didn't grammatically make sense to me.

    Two years of silence suggest Obama feels hemmed in by the zeal of the gun lobby, whose aversion to any Second Amendment limitations are widely thought to have backfired on Bill Clinton and Al Gore.

    In the second half, I believe "whose aversion" is the subjest and "are" the verb of the sentense but it appears to me that the verb should be "is" because the subject is singular.
    Or is there anything I'm missing...??

    Any help would be appreciated.

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) I agree that "whose aversion" is the subject and the correct verb is

    "is."

    (2) Most Americans seem to treat "gun lobby" as a singular collective

    noun: The gun lobby is very powerful.

  3. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5,981
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: News article

    I agree with The Parser's response. I imagine that this is not a quote from a US newspaper.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 74
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: News article

    Thank you all for your responses.
    I'm glad that everyone agrees that the verb should be "is" rather than "are".

    However I asked my American friend this question yesterday and he said:
    Look at the phrase "aversion to any Second Amendment limitationS". That's plural. It is implying that there was more than one proposed limitation, each had one or more aversions.

    I did not find this quite convingcing but maybe there's some connotation that only native speakers can grasp..??
    It would be great to hear more advice and opinions.

  4. charliedeut's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Oct 2009
    • Posts: 5,421
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: News article

    Quote Originally Posted by Kengo View Post
    Thank you all for your responses.
    I'm glad that everyone agrees that the verb should be "is" rather than "are".

    However I asked my American friend this question yesterday and he said:
    Look at the phrase "aversion to any Second Amendment limitationS". That's plural. It is implying that there was more than one proposed limitation, each had one or more aversions.

    I did not find this quite convingcing but maybe there's some connotation that only native speakers can grasp..??
    It would be great to hear more advice and opinions.
    Hi there,

    IMO, as already said, "are" would only be acceptable if the article said something like "gun lobby, whose complaintS against any Second Amendment limitations..." Only then would a plural verb make sense.

    Greetings,

    Charliedeut
    Last edited by charliedeut; 20-Apr-2011 at 10:20. Reason: typo, and yet another one

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 74
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: News article

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    I imagine that this is not a quote from a US newspaper.
    I'm not familiar with the American media but I suppose it's American.

    Here's a link to the actual article.
    Why Obama's Silence on Gun-Control Laws Pleases Nobody - TIME

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: News article

    There appears to be some sllight confusion here, though the right answer is there.

    You were right in your original post - I believe "whose aversion" is the subject and "are" the verb of the sentence but it appears to me that the verb should be "is" because the subject is singular", as charliedeut confirmed in post #2, parser in post #4 and riquecohen in post #5. Your friend (post #6) made the same mistake as the writer of the original writer.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 10,372
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: News article

    It is implying that there was more than one proposed limitation, each had one or more aversions.
    The "aversion" is in general and not a reaction to any particular proposed limitation. There is a never-ending series of proposed limitations.

    "Aversion" makes it sound like some sort of emotional reaction, when the political opposition to gun control is based on a principle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] about VOA'S news article
    By tien-sung in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 22-Jun-2010, 17:22
  2. Sports news article..Kindly check
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Feb-2010, 08:09
  3. An article on news channels. Kindly check.
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-Feb-2010, 19:33
  4. news moral responsibility..article kindly check
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2010, 15:57
  5. News article
    By Waawe in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 27-Feb-2008, 01:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •