Jimmychoo Guest

Question @@Finite clauses@@

can someone help me pick out all the finite subordinate clauses from the following sentences?!!

1.Moscow could not control the articles foreigners wrote once thry retured home but it could control the foreigners it admitted.

2.Although I slep on a flock pillow and made wide detours round lilac trees, the 'asthma attcks' which were to assail me for the next ten years persisted.

3. Tom and Mary sat at the back of the room with the self-conscious air of men who suspect that they should be taking part in the nearby drama but who wonder which rule they should play.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: @@Finite clauses@@

Welcome.

We are more than happy to help, Jimmy, but could you provide us with your answers or best guesses, first?

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: @@Finite clauses@@

here is my answer (please correct me if they were wrong)

1. foreigners wrote once they returned home (Relative Clause)
    once they returned home (Adverbial Clause of Time)
    admitted (Verb complement Clause)
    2. Althoguh I slep on a flock pillow and made wide detours round lilac trees
    (Adverbial Clause of Concession)
    which were to assail me for the next ten years persisted (Relative Clause)
    persisted (Verb Complement Clause)
    3. who suspect that they should be taking part in the nearby drama but
    wonder which role they should play (Relative Clause)
    that they should be taking part in the nearby drama but wonder which role they should play (Relative)
    who wonder which role they should play (Relative CLause)
    which role they should play (Complement Clause)

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. Let's start off slowly. Let me show you how I would do the first example:

1.Moscow could not control the articles (that) foreigners wrote once [the foreigners] retured home but it could control the foreigners (that) it admitted.

(that): relative pronoun introducing a relative clause
    once: answers the question when, so it's an adverb of time
    but: transitional element; it's a subordinator. It head a subordinate clause.
    (that): relative pronoun introducing a relative clause

Does that help?

2.Although I slept on a flock pillow and made wide detours round lilac trees, the 'asthma attcks' which were to assail me for the next ten years persisted.

3. Tom and Mary sat at the back of the room with the self-conscious air of men who suspect that they should be taking part in the nearby drama but who wonder which rule they should play.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: @@Finite clauses@@

Thank you sooo much for the help , here is my answer again based on what you taught me (can u check if they were correct?):

2.Although I slept on a flock pillow and (I) made wide detours round lilac trees, the 'asthma attcks' which were to assail me for the next ten years (that) persisted.

(Although): adverb of concession
    made wide detours round lilac trees??
    (which): relative clause
    (that): complement clause?

3. Tom and Mary sat at the back of the room with the self-conscious air of men (who) suspect (that) they should be taking part in the nearby drama but (who) wonder (which) rule they should play.

(who): relative clause
    (that): complement clause
    (who): relative clause
    (which): relative clause
    (that): complement clause

one last question: is there any Verb complement clause in these 3 sentences?
    Last edited by jimmychoo; 27-Aug-2005 at 13:20.

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome.

Good try.
    2.Although I slept on a flock pillow and (I) made wide detours round lilac trees, the 'asthma attcks' which were to assail me for the next ten years (that) persisted.
    'and' is a conjunction. It joins two like elements, so the clause "[I] made wide detours round lilac trees" also belongs to "Although" heads.

"which were to assail me for the next ten years" is a relative clause. That clause modifies the subject "asthma attacks", and its verb, is "persisted"; it's the main verb. It's not part of the relative clause.

. . . asthma attacks . . . persisted.

Good try.
    3. Tom and Mary sat at the back of the room with the self-conscious air of men (who) suspect (that) they should be taking part in the nearby drama but (who) wonder (which) rule they should play.
    Here's an easy way to find adverbial clauses, ask when, where, why, how, in what manner, like this, in what manner were Tom and Mary sitting at the back of the room?

Not every 'that' is a relative pronoun. If you can omit it and the meaning of the sentence stays the same, then 'that' is not a relative pronoun:

. . . who suspects . . . they should be taking part . . .

Moreover, relative pronouns modify nouns. 'suspect' is a verb.

Not every 'which' is a relative pronoun. In our example, 'which' means, which one, this rule or that rule?

one last question: is there any Verb complement clause in these 3 sentences?
    What do you mean by 'Verb complement clause'?