Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going out with you."

Would it sound natural if a girlfriend said it to her boyfriend? I mean grammar.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

It doesn't sound natural to me. I would say:

If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going out with you.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
*Not a teacher

It doesn't sound natural to me. I would say:

If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going out with you.

I can't see any good reason why it's unnatural to use "going to be doing" in the if-clause. Don't people say things like "if you are going to be drinking this much, you will........."? I'm guessing it's fine to use it if I want to emphasize an ongoing event in thefuture.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I can't see any good reason why it's unnatural to use "going to be doing" in the if-clause. Don't people say things like "if you are going to be drinking this much, you will........."? I'm guessing it's fine to use it if I want to emphasize an ongoing event in thefuture.
"If you are going to be wearing that in the street..." is OK. I prefer "If you are going to wear..." though.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Depending on what you actually have in mind, all of these, and more, are possible:

If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going out with you.
If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going to be going out with you.
If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going out with you
If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going to be going out with you.

The expressions with going to be going are, in my opinion, ugly, and I do not think that many people who think about what they are saying would utter them, but there is nothing 'incorrect' about them.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Depending on what you actually have in mind, all of these, and more, are possible:

If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going out with you.
If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going to be going out with you.
If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going out with you
If you are going to wear this on the street, I'm not going to be going out with you.

The expressions with going to be going are, in my opinion, ugly, and I do not think that many people who think about what they are saying would utter them, but there is nothing 'incorrect' about them.

"If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going out with you."

Would I use it correctly, if I wanted to say that a couple are getting ready to go out and she wants to say that if will be dressed like this, under no cicumstances will she go out with him?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Would I use it correctly, if I wanted to say that a couple are getting ready to go out and she wants to say that if will be dressed like this, under no cicumstances will she go out with him?

I would say "If you are going to be wearing this on the street, I'm not going outside with you."

"... I'm not going out with you" could imply that she's going to break up with him.

EDIT: actually, I'd just say "I'm not leaving the house with you". :-?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

Would it sound natural if a girlfriend said it to her boyfriend? I mean grammar.

Just tell her to wear something else. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.