Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: the

  1. #1
    milan2003_07's Avatar
    milan2003_07 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default the

    Hello!!!

    ------------------------
    The technology used in KPI MONITOR allows one to import data directly from a database of an accounting application (ERP, CRM, SCM, ABS, accounting software, etc.), as well as from transport files of Microsoft Excel and XML formats. Furthermore, the program supports the automatic synchronization of analytical reference books with the corporate information system that provides a single analytical and reference system in a company.



    ---------------------------


    I've translated this exctract from Russian into English and I've got a question: do we need "the" in the places I've underlined (selected in bold). I'm not sure if I was right or not when I put them. Probably in one or both cases we don't need an article.


    If you find any more mistakes in the text above, please let me know.



    Thanks

  2. #2
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,667
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Hello!!!

    ------------------------
    The technology used in KPI MONITOR allows one to import data directly from a database of an accounting application (ERP, CRM, SCM, ABS, accounting software, etc.), as well as from transport files of Microsoft Excel and XML formats. Furthermore, the program supports the automatic synchronization of analytical reference books with the corporate information system that provides a single analytical and reference system in a company.


    ---------------------------

    I've translated this exctract from Russian into English and I've got a question: do we need "the" in the places I've underlined (selected in bold). I'm not sure if I was right or not when I put them. Probably in one or both cases we don't need an article.

    If you find any more mistakes in the text above, please let me know.


    Thanks
    It sounds reasonable.
    An alternative to "allows one to import data directly from ..." is "allows the import of data directly from ...." You could use this is cases where you don't want to use "one" for some reason.

  3. #3
    milan2003_07's Avatar
    milan2003_07 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    It sounds reasonable.
    An alternative to "allows one to import data directly from ..." is "allows the import of data directly from ...." You could use this is cases where you don't want to use "one" for some reason.
    Thanks!!!

    The first "the" stands before "automatic synchronization", which is a general term, but the second "the" preceeds "corporate information system". So don't you think we need "a" in the second case?

    Best

  4. #4
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the

    Quote Originally Posted by milan2003_07 View Post
    Thanks!!!

    The first "the" stands before "automatic synchronization", which is a general term, but the second "the" preceeds "corporate information system". So don't you think we need "a" in the second case?

    Best
    Depends on what you want to say.

    Before "automatic synchronization" you can also choose from the, an, or zero-article, depending on what you want to say....


  5. #5
    milan2003_07's Avatar
    milan2003_07 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Depends on what you want to say.

    Before "automatic synchronization" you can also choose from the, an, or zero-article, depending on what you want to say....

    Strange... I thought the context made it clear. Could you please explain how the meaning of the sentence would change in each case mentioned: zero article, an, the. Otherwise I can't understand which article I need to choose.

    Best

  6. #6
    milan2003_07's Avatar
    milan2003_07 is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: the

    Please help me with my questions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •