Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I do not claim to be an expert in either spoken Latin or in Mandarin phonology.

However, my memory from my time in China is that the /ŋ/ sound I heard there is very similar to my /ŋ/. My /g/ and /k/ are not exactly the same as the Mandarin equivalents, but the Mandarin sounds are velar. None of my Chinese students had any problems with these sounds.

A little hunting on the internet turned up several interesting sites, including:
inogolo - Pronunciation of Beijing : How to pronounce Beijing
and
Chinese Pronunciation - A, O, E with G, K, H » ChinesePod .

So, I don't really understand your difficulty with the English sounds.

I also do not claim to be an expert in phonetics. However I have looked through the British books on phonetics and phonology I possess (by Abercrombie, Ashby, Collins & Mees, Cruttenden, Gimson, Jones, Ladefoged, O’Connor, Roach and Wells) and can find nothing about the tongue not being supposed to make a contact with the roof of the mouth. Indeed, Gimson’s (my emphasis added) “The primary obstacle to the air-stream is formed by a closure made between the back of the tongue and the soft palate” is fairly typical of what is written about the velars.

It is possible that you have not remembered correctly the words in your book.

well, first of all, the word *beijing* they pronounce is different from what I used to hear.(what they pronounce is what we normally say) By the way, when they say the word *beijing*, they do have some accents especially the caucasian.:) Anyway, I don't wanna judge them. I just speak what I think.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
well, I can make the g and k sound without touching any part in my mouth. people can understand what I say as well. I dont know how to describe that book. It's a british phonetics book. That's what i can say.
My real native language? Laugh out loud(sounds AKWARD). How do you know if my native language isn't latin? well, my native language is mandarin. However, I speak english most of the time.i learnt other languages as well. Sorry for being dishonest. Laugh out loud
Latin is an extinct language. There is no person in the world whose first language is Latin. Probably. I didn't find your profile dishonest. I thought it was a joke.

When I asked you to quote your book, I didn't mean describe, but quote, that is tell us what exactly the book said.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Latin is an extinct language. There is no person in the world whose first language is Latin. Probably. I didn't find your profile dishonest. I thought it was a joke.

When I asked you to quote your book, I didn't mean describe, but quote, that is tell us what exactly the book said.

Cool!
My book said raise your tongue towards the soft palate. Do not let your front part of the tongue make contact with the roof of your mouth.
That's what I remember. The book isn't with me. I lent to my pal yesterday.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I thought it was a dead language. Little did I know that it was an extinct language.:)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I thought it was a dead language. Little did I know that it was an extinct language.:)

You're correct. In standard terminology it's a dead language. I used my term carelessly. You seem to know what a dead language is since you're able to recognize Latin as one. You must know then that Latin has no native speakers. You probably also know that it's common knowledge. Your question how I knew that you weren't a native speaker of Latin was therefore unnecessary, because you must have known the answer. Please refrain from asking me such questions.

Has your problem with velar sounds been solved yet?

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You're correct. In standard terminology it's a dead language. I used my term carelessly. You seem to know what a dead language is since you're able to recognize Latin as one. You must know then that Latin has no native speakers. You probably also know that it's common knowledge. Your question how I knew that you weren't a native speaker of Latin was therefore unnecessary, because you must have known the answer. Please refrain from asking me such questions.

Has your problem with velar sounds been solved yet?

well, i asked you because I didn't know nobody recognized Latin as native language. You know, my general knowledge sucks.:)
As for the second question, I don't know how to answer you because I think I got a hang of it. I'm not sure of that though.:)
I'm glad that moderator has switched off the moderation.:-D
You guys are AWESOME!:)

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can I upload any video or maybe audio file on this forum? I hope you guys can give me some feedback about my pronunciation.

Status
Not open for further replies.