Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Dear friends,

Would you please tell me whether I need the word 'have' in the following sentence? Will it's meaning be different when we leave or do not leave out 'have'? Thank you!

'I guess I'll have to learn to like frogs if I've ever decided to visit there (somewhere with lots of frogs).'

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
More natural would be:

'I guess I'll have to learn to like frogs if I ever decide to visit there.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you! 5jj. How about leaving out 'ever'? I thought that 'ever' is usually used with 'have ever/has ever'?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can leave out ever.

Without it it's a bit more likely that you will decide to go there.

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you! 5jj. How about leaving out 'ever'? I thought that 'ever' is usually used with 'have ever/has ever'?

Ever can be used with different tenses and forms.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
You can leave out ever.

Without it it's a bit more likely that you will decide to go there.

Rover
Oftentimes I have trouble with small words, like ever. Most dictionaries say it means 'at any time'. But does it refer to time in the past or in the present?

If I say 'if I have enough time, I write to my parents every week', does it mean that if I have enough time, I definitely will write to my parents every week?
But if I say 'if I ever have enough time, I write to my parents every week', will there be any diference in meaning?

Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]Oftentimes[/STRIKE] I often have trouble with small words, like ever. Most dictionaries say it means 'at any time'. But does it refer to time in the past or in the present?
Past, general time or future. Verb tense and context tell you which is meant.

If I say 'if I have enough time, I write to my parents every week', does it mean that if I have enough time, I definitely [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] write to my parents every week?
It's general, not future. The suggestion is that it is pretty certain that I write in these circumstances,
But if I say 'if I ever have enough time, I write to my parents every week', will there be any diference in meaning?
The writer is suggesting that it is unusual for him/her to have enough time.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
But in this case, 'ever' has anything to do with the interpretation of 'at any time'? In addition, 'if I ever have enough time, I write to my parents every week' and 'if I ever decide to visit there, I guess I'll have to learn to like frogs' have anything in common?

Thank you!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But in this case, 'ever' has anything to do with the interpretation of 'atany time'?
Yes.

If, at any time during my busy life, I have time (which is unlikely), I write to my parents every week.

It's a little illogical, because it seems that the speaker does not have time, and therefore does not write every week. However, in conversation we say this sort of thing. The implication is - 'I try/would like to write every week'. It may be that during occasional periods, the speaker does have time, and then writes on a weekly basis.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes.

If, at any time during my busy life, I have time (which is unlikely), I write to my parents every week.

It's a little illogical, because it seems that the speaker does not have time, and therefore does not write every week. However, in conversation we say this sort of thing. The implication is - 'I try/would like to write every week'. It may be that during occasional periods, the speaker does have time, and then writes on a weekly basis.
Thank you!
Let's go back to the original sentence: 'if I ever decide to visit there, I guess I'll have to learn to like frogs', Rover said without 'ever', it is a bit more likely that the speaker will decide to visit there, so I guess 'ever' has something to do with 'indicating uncertainty'? Does it also has something to do with 'at any time' in this case?

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear friends,

Would you please tell me whether I need the word 'have' in the following sentence? Will it's meaning be different when we leave or do not leave out 'have'? Thank you!

'I guess I'll have to learn to like frogs if I've ever decided to visit there (somewhere with lots of frogs).'

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I think that Teacher Rover has given us some great insight.

(2) Compare:

(a) If you do that again, I will hit you. = I suspect that you

may try doing that again.

(b) If you ever do that again, I will teach you a lesson that

you will never forget for the rest of your life!!! = I am warning

you: Don't even think about doing that again.

Heidi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If I say 'if I ever have enough time, I write to my parents every week', will there be any diference in meaning?
Thank you, all my teachers here. One more question:

If I say 'if you're ever in Seattle, come and see me', does it implies that I don't think you will be in Seattle someday? (but I think it's a little strange, why bother asking?)

If I say 'if you ever do that again...', implying that I don't think you dare do that again?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.