Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Which structure is not correct?

    Hi all,
    Could anyone please tell me if any of the following sentences is not a normal way of saying what is meant?


    1. One thing you need to do is, choose the right dictionary and...
    2. One thing you need to do is, to choose the right dictionary and...
    3. One thing you need to do is, choosing the right dictionary and...




    Thanks a lot in advance.

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which structure is not correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    1. One thing you need to do is choose the right dictionary and...
    2. One thing you need to do is to choose the right dictionary and...
    3. One thing you need to do is choosing the right dictionary and...
    No commas,
    The first two are fine; I prefer #1. #3 is incorrect.

  3. #3
    freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which structure is not correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi all,
    Could anyone please tell me if any of the following sentences is not a normal way of saying what is meant?


    1. One thing you need to do is, choose the right dictionary and...
    2. One thing you need to do is, to choose the right dictionary and...
    3. One thing you need to do is, choosing the right dictionary and...




    Thanks a lot in advance.
    3 is not "normal".

    Also, you don't need a comma.

    Also, if this is the only thing they need to do, you need to say "The one thing". The way you have it written, I expect it to continue: "another thing you need to do is actually use it..."

  4. #4
    Mehrgan's Avatar
    Mehrgan is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,587
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: Which structure is not correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    No commas,
    The first two are fine; I prefer #1. #3 is incorrect.

    Thnaks. How about the following sentence?

    Choosing the right dictionary is one/another thing you need to do.

    If it's correct, then would you please explain how the third example in my previous post is not correct? I used to think the third example was a case of gerunds.

  5. #5
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Which structure is not correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Thnaks. How about the following sentence?

    Choosing the right dictionary is one/another thing you need to do.

    If it's correct, then would you please explain how the third example in my previous post is not correct? I used to think the third example was a case of gerunds.
    3. One thing you need to do is choosing/(to) choose the right dictionary and...
    You need choosing/to choose...

    3a. One thing you need to think about is choosing/to choose the...
    You think about choosing/to choose...

Similar Threads

  1. Please tell me what is the correct structure.
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Dec-2009, 05:54
  2. is sentence structure correct?
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2008, 08:50
  3. Is this sentence's structure correct?
    By new2grammar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-May-2008, 00:18
  4. IS this structure correct???
    By Anthony1000 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2007, 07:49
  5. Is this structure correct?
    By riceball72 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Feb-2007, 09:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •