• Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fatalism versus Determinism

Dear friends... this is my first attempt with any kind of forum or blog activities and i am sure this will help to meliorate myself to some extend. So please help me by giving good comments, corrections and criticisms.

There are instances,when we might be in a confusion to choose a particular belief. I want to illustrate this with one simple experience. In those days of campus recruitment, me and my friends were tried really hard with mock interviews, group discussions, Combined activities to improve analytical and technical sides,for facing that first experience . Performance was really important for each of us. Because it was recession time, only very few candidates were get selected. All were equally 'determined' to get into it. But, fate!!! many brilliants were not selected even to the very first preliminary test. So they couldn't attempt further. Most of the selected people were of average performance. I was the last one who called for selection. It was one of few moments of my life, i changed to a believer. :)

Some strange and unexpected instances are forcing us to believe in fate or luck! But, is it a good practice to blame or thank every actions to fate or destiny? i don't think so. I don't believe such a eternal law or omnipresent force which is controlling the whole universe. These fluctuations are really conflicting. If such a force exists, then determinism is nothing more than a absurd struggle 'for or against' this force. In my view,harness of our ache and happiness is nowhere, but in our own hands. Please give good comments for this plot.

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fatalism versus Determinism

Quote Originally Posted by dosth View Post
    I don't believe such a eternal law or omnipresent force which is controlling the whole universe. These fluctuations are really conflicting. If such a force exists, then determinism is nothing more than a absurd struggle 'for or against' this force.

Have you looked up what determinism means? To quote Inigo Montoya, "I do not think it means what you think it means."

dosth is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fatalism versus Determinism

Thank you freezeframe, it is self-determination, but not determinism.

"Determinism should not be confused with self-determination of human actions by reasons, motives, and desires, nor with predestination, which specifically factors the possible existence of God into its tenets"- Wikipedia.