• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with transcribing

Hi! This is my first post here, but I've followed this forum for a long time.

Today, I challenged myself with transcribing part of a YouTube video. Here's the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=kW3A-dZf9Xc

The challenge was to transcribe everything between 00:45-01:01. I'm not sure I have it right. Here's what I came up with:

"What... what the f——? What? What the—oh! What the hell? No! What? This isn't... what? What's going on? Oh, for God's sake! How? What? Did a—whoa! This isn't... I wanted—I wanted weather."

Please be as criticizing as possible. I'm really trying to learn em-dashes. My biggest problem was understanding when to use an em-dash or an ellipsis. I also wanted to make the last sentence to read, "I wanted— I wanted weather" (with a space after the em-dash). This is easier to read for me, but the rule forbids spaces before or after em-dashes. On the other hand, couldn't this be two separate sentences? The first would just be interrupted. Ah—my brain! Please help. Thank you.

SanMar is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help with transcribing

Quote Originally Posted by blanknot View Post
    Hi! This is my first post here, but I've followed this forum for a long time.

Today, I challenged myself with transcribing part of a YouTube video. Here's the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=kW3A-dZf9Xc

The challenge was to transcribe everything between 00:45-01:01. I'm not sure I have it right. Here's what I came up with:

"What... what the f——? What? What the—oh! What the hell? No! What? This isn't... what? What's going on? Oh, for God's sake! How? What? Did a—whoa! This isn't... I wanted—I wanted weather."

Please be as criticizing as possible. I'm really trying to learn em-dashes. My biggest problem was understanding when to use an em-dash or an ellipsis. I also wanted to make the last sentence to read, "I wanted— I wanted weather" (with a space after the em-dash). This is easier to read for me, but the rule forbids spaces before or after em-dashes. On the other hand, couldn't this be two separate sentences? The first would just be interrupted. Ah—my brain! Please help. Thank you.
    A suggestion.
    Maybe you could explained what the clip is about. Based on your transcript of it some might be disinclined to watch it, of course others may not.

Not a teacher.

blanknot is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SanMar View Post
    A suggestion.
    Maybe you could explained what the clip is about. Based on your transcript of it some might be disinclined to watch it, of course others may not.

Not a teacher.
    I completely understand. Thank you for bringing this up.

The video is rated PG. There's no need to watch more than one minute of the video, but it only consists of a guy wondering around in a video game called Minecraft. He's looking for a new feature to the game (weather). The person in the video becomes a bit loud once he falls into a pit of skeletons attacking him (45 seconds into the video). Be prepared for that. Everything is transcribed as literally as I could. He doesn't actually say the f-word. He only pronounces the F before stopping himself. The worst word he uses is hell, and it's only used once. Some may find the video juvenile, but it offers a dialog with great impulsiveness and fluctuation.

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about transcribing so I can't help you.
    But the beginning of that video was hysterical.