Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: fencingly

  1. goingtocalifornia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 154
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    fencingly

    To answer fencingly.

    Is it the same as reluctant?

    Thank you very much

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 16,026
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: fencingly

    No dictionaries in the OneLook dictionary search list fencingly.

    You could try reluctantly.

    Rover

  2. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5,981
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: fencingly

    I wonder if there is any relationship between this neologism and "sitting on the fence." You might also try ambiguously and equivocally.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Nov 2010
    • Posts: 1,790
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: fencingly

    .. "guardedly"?

    not a teacher

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 23,077
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: fencingly

    With verbal "cut and thrust" perhaps? http://www.yourdictionary.com/cut-and-thrust

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: fencingly

    Or "defensively"? Here's the context: Dracula's Guest / Bram Stoker (1847-1912)

  4. goingtocalifornia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Dec 2007
    • Posts: 154
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: fencingly

    Could you give us the context? (That is, some of the words

    in front of those three quoted words.)


    This is from the above mentioned "Dracula":

    As we drove,I saw a road that looked but little used and which seemed to dip through a lit- tle winding valley. It looked so inviting that, even at the risk of offending him, I called Johann to stop--and when he had pulled up, I told him I would like to drive down that road. He made all sorts of excuses and frequently crossed him- self as he spoke. This somewhat piqued my curiosity, so I ask- ed him various questions. He answered fencingly and repeatedly looked at his watch in protest.

    Thank you for the new for me word "fetchingly".

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: fencingly

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Or "defensively"? Here's the context: Dracula's Guest / Bram Stoker (1847-1912)
    Congratulations, oh mistress of the search. It certainly appears to be 'defensively' or' guardedly', as in 'fencing with (s)words'.

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 5,309
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: fencingly

    Quote Originally Posted by goingtocalifornia View Post
    Could you give us the context? (That is, some of the words

    in front of those three quoted words.)


    This is from the above mentioned "Dracula":

    As we drove,I saw a road that looked but little used and which seemed to dip through a lit- tle winding valley. It looked so inviting that, even at the risk of offending him, I called Johann to stop--and when he had pulled up, I told him I would like to drive down that road. He made all sorts of excuses and frequently crossed him- self as he spoke. This somewhat piqued my curiosity, so I ask- ed him various questions. He answered fencingly and repeatedly looked at his watch in protest.

    Thank you for the new for me word "fetchingly".

    ***** NOT A TEACHER *****


    (1) Thanks a million for teaching all of us a new word.

    (2) And a million thanks to Birdeen's Call for locating the quotation.

    (3) As the teachers always tell us learners: Context, context, context.

    (4) I have deleted my first post because I do not want to clutter up the

    thread with my wrong guess.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,167
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: fencingly

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    As the teachers always tell us learners: Context, context, context.
    It seems that we have to keep on saying it. Perhaps we should suggest to the administrators that this message appear at the top of the place where threadstarters write their first question.

    I have deleted my first post because I do not want to clutter up the thread with my wrong guess.
    I recall that it was a reasonable guess. There is no need to delete such wrong guesses, in my opinion. They help to make it clear what can happen if insufficient context is given.
    Last edited by 5jj; 28-Apr-2011 at 16:49. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •