Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi everybody,
I have just discovered this community and must say I am impressed by the size and the organization. Will probably find it very fruitful in the future.
I am currently studying to be an English Teacher and I have always wondered what is it that we teach first to our students? Lots of years have passed since I started to learn this language, so I kind of forgot. That's why I would be very grateful if someone could make a sort of list with the different topics that are taught in a chronological order, or else could address me to some place in which I can read about that.

Hope I make myself clear. Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Look at a few commonly used coursebooks for beginners and see how they do it. As you will probably be using coursebooks when you teach, initially at first, use the experience of the people who write these books.

ICAL_Pete

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Switzerland
It really depends on the class. What should happen first is a needs analysis: working out what the class needs to know (are they Business English students, for example, or EAP students, etc). From this you would work out a syllabus and that naturally leads into what is needed and when it comes into the classroom.

W

windrose203

It really depends on the class. What should happen first is a needs analysis: working out what the class needs to know (are they Business English students, for example, or EAP students, etc). From this you would work out a syllabus and that naturally leads into what is needed and when it comes into the classroom.

Hi Pete
I agree that it depends on the class. However, can you give me some examples?
I'm so worried.
Many thanks advance!

jack4321

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Bihari
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
English Teaching is now a days very much important....

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Independently of the class, I always teach phonetics, pronunciation and listening first, solidly for the first few weeks with little else.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Independently of the class, I always teach phonetics, pronunciation and listening first, solidly for the first few weeks with little else.

Do you do this with beginners (true and false) as well as more intermediate students? Do you use a coursebook or have you developed your own material for this? How do you keep them from getting bored? Are these daily classes or the once a week variety?

Sorry for all the questions but it sounds like you have an established technique so if you have time to write even the briefest of summaries I'd be very interested in reading it!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do you do this with beginners (true and false) as well as more intermediate students? Do you use a coursebook or have you developed your own material for this? How do you keep them from getting bored? Are these daily classes or the once a week variety?

Sorry for all the questions but it sounds like you have an established technique so if you have time to write even the briefest of summaries I'd be very interested in reading it!

I do this with both true and false beginners, using my own materials, even in daily classes. I use games and puzzles, as well as challenges and theatrical skits, to make sure a much greater phonemic sensitivity is attained before moving on to other topics.

In fact I've written myself a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.