Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi

Can anyone recommend a course (it does not matter if it's books or an e-course) on how to learn the British accent?
There are free online resources, but they are simply not detailed enough or really list everything you need to know to speak with a good British accent.

Has anyone got any experience with learning that accent? How did you do it?

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
I've got good news and bad news. The bad news is that I'm American and lived in Ireland for five years and I still can't do a convincing Irish (or British--whatever that is) accent.

The good news is that your writing makes a good impression so if that's accurate I imagine you'll be able to communicate just fine. People just have accents, they're not seen as negatively in English as learners seem to think. In fact, there will always be somebody who thinks a certain accent is sexy so there are benefits too!

The only accents I can do is when I am copying someone, so you can try my method... it's free! Take a video or audio recording of an accent you like/admire, preferably with a transcript, listen to it and record yourself copying it. Listen to yourself and the original again and self-correct until you get it right. You can use websites or ask more questions here if you need help with the technical aspects.

You can get videos here:
euronews.net: all of the Top Stories have videos with transcripts
BBC Learning English: all of the Words in the News stories have recordings of the article (the pace of the speech is a little slow)
TED.com: a wide variety of speakers, but it's natural language at a natural presentation pace and the community will transcribe and translate all of the talks

Don't worry so much about the individual consonant and vowel sounds (as long as they are distinct and comprehensible), try to notice sentence stress patterns and intonations and you'll soon be more comfortable with your own unique accent. Check out Amy Walker if you haven't already.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, remember that there are many different British accents.

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Longman Dictionary helps me a lot!

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK

Most of which are truly awful. RP is an accent liked by most people around the world. Its a lot less harsh than an american/canadian accent, and it just sounds nicer. Im not talking about the lazy sloane accent, or the over the top hyperlect accent. In fact my favourite RP accent is the one Freddie Mercury attained at a British boarding school in India.

An example of his accent. This is the clearest audio of Freddie on the net.

YouTube - Freddie Mercury In-depth & Rare Interview - part 2 of 8

The reason why I prefer this RP accent is because its very soft, and all the dipthongs and triphthongs are used, yet not in a snobby way if you know what i mean lol Hugh grant is another example.

Best accent in the world imo! :)

sten4556

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have used " Acting with an Accent" tapes by Dr. Stern.. on " RP" English which is basically Queens English. I don't really know how I feel about the tapes and how they affected me. I would say to not really waste your money on that kind of thing unless that is the exact accent you are wanting to acquire. Most people, aside from some areas in London and the south of england don't really speak like that, but if posh is what you want, the tape is perfect for that.

It depends on what specific "regional" accent you want; there are SO many in England and the UK as a whole that it's just not even funny. So I'd pick an area of England that you like and that fascinates you and then try to find some famous people from that area and listen until you pick it up. Imitation is really the best way. I've been studying these accents for about 2 years now and still haven't picked up a full accent. The more different ones you listen to repeatedly is the more the mixture will be, so be careful what all you expose yourself to.

This is a great site for listening to samples of accents from all over england:
you have to type into google "IDEA accents", it will be paul meier's site and it helps greatly.

menakhan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Mr_Ben
i want to learn british accent only.....
please suggest me the sities , i have visit the bbclearning.com , but i want more.

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Pray quote all the British accents for the benefit of the members in this thread!

Esredux

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It is quite possible but, to the best of my belief, it depends on your hearing rather than any courses.
Books can give an insight into how proper sounds should be articulated. Some learners find it confusing, others need to know what to do with their tongues, lips, etc, to utter a sound. No matter how helpful the theory coulbe be, you need to connect separate sounds into an utterance with adecuate stress/rhythm pattern and decent iintonation so controlled practice is absolutely crucial.

We used to have a Multi-ROM course where students were able to listen to the sample and record themselves. There was an option to 'see' the sound and compare the range, depth, pitch, and other features. The course was called 'Professor Higgins' and basicaly was a replica of the methodology shown in the film - quite abmitious at first sight but it really worked miracles. There might be something similar on-line.

Also,singing classes could be of great help - a number of their activities can be applied to mastering pronunciation.

Hope this could help.

Hi

Can anyone recommend a course (it does not matter if it's books or an e-course) on how to learn the British accent?
There are free online resources, but they are simply not detailed enough or really list everything you need to know to speak with a good British accent.

Has anyone got any experience with learning that accent? How did you do it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

menakhan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Mr_Ben
i want to learn british accent only.....
please suggest me the sities , i have visit the bbclearning.com , but i want more.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here's a great website at the British Library, showing the richness and variety of the English accent (across the UK):
Sounds Familiar?

The Cambridge series of books "English Pronunciation in Use" (beginner, intermediate and advanced) is excellent. Most speakers could start on the intermediate book. Each book includes 6 CDs (with plenty of audio examples and exercises) and a CD ROM. This is the book I usually use when teaching pronunciation, as well as using my own exercises. :)

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Here's a great website at the British Library, showing the richness and variety of the English accent (across the UK):
Sounds Familiar?

The Cambridge series of books "English Pronunciation in Use" (beginner, intermediate and advanced) is excellent. Most speakers could start on the intermediate book. Each book includes 6 CDs (with plenty of audio examples and exercises) and a CD ROM. This is the book I usually use when teaching pronunciation, as well as using my own exercises. :)

Thank you for the interesting link!:-D

SUDHKAMP

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Kannada
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sounds Familiar?

Great site British Library UK!:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.