[Vocabulary] Too phased = worried? bothered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paochai01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
New Zealand
Hi, my friend says 'too phased' when she means 'worried' or 'bothered'... I've never heard of that ever. I checked the Longman Dictionary and Cambridge Dictionary but the meaning 'worried/bothered' was never included. I did some Google search and there were a few sentences from articles that came out which seemed to fit the meaning 'worried/bothered', therefore, it does exist. How come that meaning doesn't seem to be in any dictionary? Is it slang in any way? Is it UK/NZ slang?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, my friend says 'too phased' when she means 'worried' or 'bothered'... I've never heard of that ever. I checked the Longman Dictionary and Cambridge Dictionary but the meaning 'worried/bothered' was never included. I did some Google search and there were a few sentences from articles that came out which seemed to fit the meaning 'worried/bothered', therefore, it does exist. How come that meaning doesn't seem to be in any dictionary? Is it slang in any way? Is it UK/NZ slang?

***** A NON-TEACHER's COMMENT *****

I think that you are looking for faze.

Respectfully yours,

James

paochai01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
New Zealand
Hmm... But James, she's very confident and is dead sure about it. I've seen it thru her texts and emails many times. Anyway, here are the phrases I got from Google search:
1. Give it up Glazer you were too PHASED to make that shot!

2. I'm happy that mine was a typo and not too phased if you mistook it for bad grammar!
3. My mind certainly doesnt seem too phased.
4. Boys obviously not too phased about the stop from Uis, Namibia
5. Paul Ashworth of Capital Economics, a private forecasting group, doesn't seem too phased by this morning's GDP number.
As a developer I myself am not too phased by the word 'craftsman' although I'm not entirely sure if there may be subtle connections we make...
7. He didn't seem too phased by its hairy legs and the cluster of eyes on its forehead.
8. This is a positive sign that the financial markets are not too phased by the new coalition.
9. and since I always wear SPF under my makeup anyway, I wasn't too phased.
10. Anyway, we at Trust K9 aren't too phased by this. We have a couple of fantastic weapons in our armoury to deal with bed bugs...
11. I wasn't too phased by this as I'd heard stories of this hardly being a rare occurance whilst playing this particular game.
12. I try not to get too phased by meeting people and I just about managed it with him!
13. I'm not too phased by it anymore but help would be nice, too.
14. In my opinion it's better to get her ears pierced when she's still too young to be too phased by it. Babies get over pain faster than older ...
Oracle customers haven't seemed too phased by the $1 billion lawsuit filed by Oracle
16. I'm an experienced cyclist, cycling most days in the UK and am not too phased by traffic
17. I always felt that the older generation weren't too phased by death.
18. We've had a few accidents of not getting there in time, but I'm not too phased about those as she at least knew she had to go. ...
He tends to get too phased by stuff and I just wish whoever picked him a ton of luck and be grateful for whatever little success he produces ...
I'm at the point now where I'm not too phased by anything. I used to be freaked out by meeting new people, especially people who had something positive to ...
We learn to trust this process to a very real point of not being too phased or frightened of what comes into our awareness. ...
Personally i'm not too phased, at the price I got it for!
23. I'm listening to indie. Which is most unlike me. You like indie? (i'm not even too phased by it.)

I just really don't know why any dictionary doesn't seem to have it...

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Because the word is "faze." Google only proves that lots of people don't know the correct word they are using.

Even lots of "confident and dead sure" people can be 100% wrong.

paochai01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
New Zealand
Hahahahaha! I'm crackin' up! I love your comment, Soothing Dave! Thank you very much And my thanks to you, too, Parser. I'm sorry, Parser, I was pretty skeptic at first.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hmm... But James, she's very confident and is dead sure about it. I've seen it thru her texts and emails many times. Anyway, here are the phrases I got from Google search:
1. Give it up Glazer you were too PHASED to make that shot!

2. I'm happy that mine was a typo and not too phased if you mistook it for bad grammar!
3. My mind certainly doesnt seem too phased.
4. Boys obviously not too phased about the stop from Uis, Namibia
5. Paul Ashworth of Capital Economics, a private forecasting group, doesn't seem too phased by this morning's GDP number.
6. As a developer I myself am not too phased by the word 'craftsman' although I'm not entirely sure if there may be subtle connections we make...
7. He didn't seem too phased by its hairy legs and the cluster of eyes on its forehead.
8. This is a positive sign that the financial markets are not too phased by the new coalition.
9. and since I always wear SPF under my makeup anyway, I wasn't too phased.
10. Anyway, we at Trust K9 aren't too phased by this. We have a couple of fantastic weapons in our armoury to deal with bed bugs...
11. I wasn't too phased by this as I'd heard stories of this hardly being a rare occurance whilst playing this particular game.
12. I try not to get too phased by meeting people and I just about managed it with him!
13. I'm not too phased by it anymore but help would be nice, too.
14. In my opinion it's better to get her ears pierced when she's still too young to be too phased by it. Babies get over pain faster than older ...
15. Oracle customers haven't seemed too phased by the $1 billion lawsuit filed by Oracle
16. I'm an experienced cyclist, cycling most days in the UK and am not too phased by traffic
17. I always felt that the older generation weren't too phased by death.
18. We've had a few accidents of not getting there in time, but I'm not too phased about those as she at least knew she had to go. ...
19. He tends to get too phased by stuff and I just wish whoever picked him a ton of luck and be grateful for whatever little success he produces ...
20. I'm at the point now where I'm not too phased by anything. I used to be freaked out by meeting new people, especially people who had something positive to ...
21. We learn to trust this process to a very real point of not being too phased or frightened of what comes into our awareness. ...
22. Personally i'm not too phased, at the price I got it for!
23. I'm listening to indie. Which is most unlike me. You like indie? (i'm not even too phased by it.)

(1) I have found the answer!!!

(2) Mr. Bryan A. Garner in his A Dictionary of Modern American

Usage tells us:

Phase for faze is an increasingly common blunder. (In plain English:

more and more people are making the mistake of spelling "faze"

as "phase.")

(3) In other words, your friend -- I say this with the greatest

respect -- is wrong. Is she a young person? With total respect,

some young people are not the best spellers in the world. (Just

ask any high school or even university instructor.)

(4) I, too, love "Professor Google." But as you know, there are

many things on the Web that are, well, just wrong.

(5) Thanks a million for your post this morning. I had never heard of

this misspelling until I read your post.

Respectfully yours,

James

paochai01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
New Zealand
Hahahahahah! James/Parser, your reply is amazing. It surely brightened my day! I love the enumerated items! lol
Wow! And where on earth did you get that book of Garner's? How did you know the answer was there?! :)
Now it all makes sense. Well, yeah, my friend's young but is a native speaker from here, New Zealand. I was totally FAZED when I heard the word. I've never seen that word used in that context so I checked my two most favorite dictionaries. Gosh! Do you know I've been trying to figure that out in about two months?! It's just now that UsingEnglish crossed my mind. Was so frustrated and way too desperate.
I love your 4th item! I'm starting to become one of the Wikiots and Googliots,you know...P eople who believe that anything and everything in Wikipedia and Google is true even though I know that most aren't. lol
You're welcome, James. Same here! That misspelling I've never ever heard. Ever. I'm glad you and Dave are here. UsingEnglish has been a great world to learn. I've been a member for almost 5 years and I was, am, and will always be very proud of it. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Google only proves that lots of people don't know the correct word they are using.

I love this comment. And it surely has applied to me as well!

paochai01

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
New Zealand
I love this comment. And it surely has applied to me as well!

I know, right? Gosh, I almost used it as a Facebook status!
Barb_D! I miss you!!! You helped me lots before! Ages ago, when I was very very active here. Around 2006-2009. You and Dave, Anglika and many more. :) Nice to see your names again. :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Because the word is "faze." Google only proves that lots of people don't know the correct word they are using.

:up::-D

The substution of 'ph' for 'f' must be one of the commonest hypercorrections in English. (As an example, Google has 12,500 hits for 'phorensic'.) Whenever a dictionary doesn't list a word, it's possible you're looking up a misspelling.

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The substution of 'ph' for 'f' must be one of the commonest hypercorrections in English. (As an example, Google has 12,500 hits for 'phorensic'.) Whenever a dictionary doesn't list a word, it's possible you're looking up a misspelling.

b

The other day, I forgot how to spell "phenomenon." I kept

looking under "F" in the dictionary. :oops:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

Better than "sike" for "psych" though.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Substituting ph for f is common in some varieties of Internet slang. For example, it is common in 1337 or leetspeak, which is used by some subcultures on the Internet.

You can see their orthography in this neat chart:

Leet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, sometimes, while this seems like a misspelling, when used by young people on the Internet or in other forms of electronic communication, it is actually spelled that way by design.

(This is not to say that some people don't simply misspell words.)

While some uptight people see this as the end of the universe and proof of the upcoming Armageddon, I see this as just another subculture argot which is actually pretty interesting. Also, the way leetspeak generates new words, especially different parts of speech, is fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.