Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear all,

a place with nice view/ a place with a nice view

Like the case above, when "view" means a sight, is it a countable noun or an uncountable one? I googled both and found a lot of both. It seems that both can be fine. Is this just a matter of preference? Or am I missing something?

Thank you!

OP

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I am not a teacher nor a native speaker.
So, you shouldn't take what I'm going to say on trust.

But, let me give it a shot. Here is an excerpt from the OALD, 8th edition:

3 [uncountable,  singular] used when you are talking about whether you can see sth or whether sth can be seen in a particular situation
The lake soon came into view .
The sun disappeared from view .
There was nobody in view .
Sit down—you're blocking my view.
I didn't have a good view of the stage.

4 [countable] what you can see from a particular place or position, especially beautiful countryside
There were magnificent views of the surrounding countryside.
The view from the top of the tower was spectacular.
a sea/mountain view
I'd like a room with a view.

As you might have noticed they use a good view at point 3, althought it's an uncountable noun. I reckon it's because they're speaking about a sort of view here. The same should be applied to your example.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

a place with nice view/ a place with a nice view

Like the case above, when "view" means a sight, is it a countable noun or an uncountable one? I googled both and found a lot of both. It seems that both can be fine. Is this just a matter of preference? Or am I missing something?

Thank you!

OP

Countable. The place has a nice view (or nice views). The reason for the large number of counter-examples, especially on the internet, is that people tend to omit articles in advertisements, so a lonely hearts advertiser would claim to have 'GSOH [{a} good sense of humour]' and someone trying to sell a house would refer to it as having 'h&c, en-suite, near shops, good view'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.