Thread: revamp/revamps

Post Thanks / Like

Default revamp/revamps

I can't get a clear picture in my mind of how the word "revamp" is used I need it as a synonym of 'reconstruction", i.e. upgrades and other changes of equipment, plants etc. Seems it can be successfully used in both singular and plural - but does the meaning remain the same?

Compare: 1) the revamps were as follows (the list of ungrades to follow) (=the upgrades were as follows)

2) the plant was subject to revamp/revamps (=the same: the plant was subject to upgrades)

Do these phrases sound OK?

My other query is which verbs we use in collocations with revamp/-s - carry out/conduct/perform/make/do revamps? Else verbs?

I hope I'm not too confusing Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: revamp/revamps

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Cat
    Seems [revamp] can be successfully used in both singular and plural - but does the meaning remain the same?
    Could you give us your source? My sources list revamp as a verb, not a noun. That's not to say it doesn't work as a noun; it's just that I'd like to know what you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    Do these phrases sound OK?
    1) the revamps were as follows = the upgrades were as follows

2) the plant was subject to revamp/revamps = the plant was subject to upgrades
    They sound fine to me. Mind you, I understand the etymology of the word and that you're using revamp as a noun; other readers might not share my grammaticality judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat
    My other query is which verbs we use in collocations with revamp/-s - carry out/conduct/perform/make/do revamps? Else verbs?
    Well, there might not be any collocations for it. As a verb, maybe, but as a noun? Hmm.

Post Thanks / Like

That's actually why I've come up with this query - my sources don't give such a noun either I took it from a Ru>En translated document that I had to proofread. I'd come across "revamping", but never - "revamps", that's why I was puzzled. I think for this translator it would have been safer to leave this word alone if she or he wasn't quite aware of its usage

Now if I replace "revamps" with "revamping", will it sound less confusing?

Here are the revamped sentences

1) The plant was subject to revamping

2) Revamping included the following: (instead of "revamps were as follows")

What a perplexing word...

Post Thanks / Like

I like it! verb => noun (gerund)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Casiopea!