Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. 'He was born Nameless Infant, and then named John' might be more accurate, but it doesn't sound very natural to me! ;-)

b

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/bellevue/natcul/natcul1.aspx
In August, the baby was born and named John Alexander after his father.

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/entertainment/film/biography/artist/johnny-depp/biography/58
He was born John Christopher Depp II on June 9th, 1963, in Owensboro, Kentucky - the self-styled "barbecue capital of the world".

Does "to be born John" mean "to be born and named John"?

Think of the first sentence as two sentences joined by and:

The baby was born in August. The baby was named John Alexander after his father.

The sentence points out that the baby is named after his father. It would make no sense if it said "He was born John Alexander after his father", hence the "born and named" construction.

But ordinarily you can say "He was born John Christopher Depp" which is shorthand for "he was born and named by this name". The fact that a person is born without a name and then is given one can be safely assumed.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have always suspected he is half-Vietnamese as in a young role, a Vietnam war movie, he speaks what appears to be fluent Vietnamese. He also looks like my daughter, who is half-Asian as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.