Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Recently I read that "forbade" should be pronounced so as to rhyme with "glad," but I've never heard anyone pronounce the word that way.

How do you pronounce it?

Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I rhyme it with glad.

Rover

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
=Not a Teacher=

I am a "glad' person, as I would be in "I bade them sit" (old-fashioned).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Another 'gladder' here. :up:

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Personally, for the word "forbade", i was tough why we pronounced it like"aid" because in the English language, every letter serves to pronounce the word "correctly". So i heard some pronounce "Forbade" like "aid" or "Forbade" like "Bad", When you see an "E'' as the last letter in every word, it signals the way it should be pronounced, if we were to take out the "e'' (forbad), it would sound like ''Bad'', Why is it written like ''ade'' instead of ''aid'' thats where i'm clueless

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'. . . in the English language, every letter serves to pronounce the word "correctly".'

I don't know who taught you that, Opus, but it is clearly incorrect. For example, how does every letter in though help us to distinguish its pronunciation from rough or plough?

Rover

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
words like though? why don't we take that for example. Do you think the last ''h'' does matter? and how would we pronounce it, if it didn't matters ? (thoug). Take rough or plough, that is a very good example, why don't we write "rouf"? or just take out the "H" in "plough", it's clearly incorrect and their is a reason why, Please enlighten me.....

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
words like though? why don't we take that for example. Do you think the last ''h'' does matter? and how would we pronounce it, if it didn't matters ? (thoug). Take rough or plough, that is a very good example, why don't we write "rouf"? or just take out the "H" in "plough", it's clearly incorrect and their is a reason why, Please enlighten me.....
=Not a Teacher=

The only thing that is really incorrect is this: "because in the English language, every letter serves to pronounce the word "correctly"." This is just not true. Sorry.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

After the Norman invasion, the English letter yogh was replaced by Norman scribes with gh, which gave rise to the pronunciation mess we have today.

Opus018

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
After the Norman invasion, the English letter yogh was replaced by Norman scribes with gh, which gave rise to the pronunciation mess we have today.

Ok, Maybe i didn't explain myself correctly because yes there are some letters in some words we don't pronounce. All i wanted to say is, that every letter does matter in the English language but it can be for grammatical reasons or pronunciation reasons or just simply their origins. This is very interesting because their is no language regulator like in Spanish or French, to explain those who want to learn the language these types of issues. I will say, that today i learned something new about the English letter yogh , thanks Tdol :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This is very interesting because their is no language regulator like in Spanish or French, to explain those who want to learn the language these types of issues.

People keep suggesting that we should a have a body to pronounce on language questions, but the idea never gets off the drawing board. And most native speakers I know prefer it that way. Learners may feel differently. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here too, but I'm conscious when I do that ignoramuses may think I'm making a mistake. ;-)

b

Or maybe correct and enlighten you. ;-)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Maybe the Royal Society or Oxford can rule for us. I pronounce it like "aid" as well.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the point the poster is making is that we do teach children a "rule" that a final "e" makes the previous vowel long. That changes "fad" to "fade."

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have very rarely if ever heard "forbad", and I think many people in Canada would agree with me that that prununciation is a little precious, somewhat like pointedly making the future tense with "shall" (especially when the meaning is clearly one of determined intent!).

Though it's clear enough that "forbad" was once standard English, and was even spelled that way, I should think it's a regional pronunciation today, like "cla(r)k" for "clerk", or perhaps "forbaid" if "forbad" is still the standard in the UK.

"Forbad" puts me in mind of Pope's couplet

"Here thou, great Anna, whom three realms obey,
Dost sometimes counsel take -- and sometimes tea!"

It somehow seems from that era.

PS. Please don't take offence at my blunt word "precious" above. Reaction to slightly alien pronunciation and diction is automatic; I imagine lots of things about new-world English sound odd or even laughable to educated British ears.

Last edited:

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
PS. Please don't take offence at my blunt word "precious" above. Reaction to slightly alien pronunciation and diction is automatic; I imagine lots of things about new-world English sound odd or even laughable to educated British ears.
I have found that most linguists, Canadian, British or otherwise, find aspects of other dialects interesting rather than odd or laughable

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have found that most linguists, Canadian, British or otherwise, find aspects of other dialects interesting rather than odd or laughable

The aspect of language that grammatical and linguistic analysis tends to ignore is the emotional one.

It's all very well to classify words and phrases as "British English", "educated speech", "teen slang" and so on, but those labels assume a dispassionate linguist. That's what you mean by "interesting rather than odd or laughable", isn't it?

Meanwhile, many phrases provoke an interesting emotional reaction in the listener.

That's what my post concentrated on -- my own reaction to the sounds of "forbad".

On the other hand, I know that this forum does concentrate on elementary grammar and diction for non-native learners. I do know that many of the excellent and witty advisers here have sometimes been protective of their dignity. And I am not so common a poster here that I felt comfortable with my casual evaluation. Therefore my added apology. :)

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It would be interesting to know how people in this post pronounce bid and bade.

Status
Not open for further replies.