Post Thanks / Like

hurricane Katrina

Hello Tutor,

I don't quite understand the underlined part of the following paragraph. "Prayers" doesn't seem to me the objective of the present participate "forcing". Could you please explain for me? Thank you very much!

A monstrous Hurricane Katrina barreled toward New Orleans on Sunday with 160-mph wind and a threat of a 28-foot storm surge, forcing a mandatory evacuation of the below-sea-level city and prayers for those who remained to face a doomsday scenario.

Emily

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hurricane Katrina

Quote Originally Posted by emily wong
    Hello Tutor,

I don't quite understand the underlined part of the following paragraph. "Prayers" doesn't seem to me the objective of the present participate "forcing". Could you please explain for me? Thank you very much!

A monstrous Hurricane Katrina barreled toward New Orleans on Sunday with 160-mph wind and a threat of a 28-foot storm surge, forcing a mandatory evacuation of the below-sea-level city and prayers for those who remained to face a doomsday scenario.

Emily
    Evacuation was mandatory in New Orleans even tough people opted to remain behind. All one could do for them was pray. Two seperate sentences.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: hurricane Katrina

Thank you, Tutor Twostep! But, could you give me an explanation from a grammatical angle? That will help me fully understand the structure of the sentence. Many thanks!