• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Icon

In the Post Icon, there should be an Icon that can be added (by editing the post I guess) when the question was resolved.

My question was answered within 30 mins of me posting it -- great job, teachers! -- and I wish I could edit it to indicate that it was resolved so people don't click on it. The threads do eventually get locked but not right away, unless someone posts controversial statements in it!*

Anyway, that's just my suggestion. Not sure how practical it is to implement or if people would be that diligent with it.

*which could be one method of indicating that the question is resolved? j/k

strangerinmoscow is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Post Icon

Another way to show that it's been resolved is to change the thread title to include "resolved" in the title.

Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice suggestion. I've just added a new thread prefix: [Answered]

Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a way to add the prefix to an existing thread? I can only see how to add it to a new thread, but it doesn't seem useful.

By the way, you can close your thread if you want, freezeframe. In the Thread Tools menu you'll find a command that does it. You can re-open it too.

freezeframe is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Is there a way to add the prefix to an existing thread? I can only see how to add it to a new thread, but it doesn't seem useful.

By the way, you can close your thread if you want, freezeframe. In the Thread Tools menu you'll find a command that does it. You can re-open it too.
    I don't want to preclude further comments as sometimes a thread generates a discussion.

All I wanted is a way to indicate in the title that I as the original poster have been satisfied with the answer.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I think locking threads is a bad idea. The system has worked OK until now without it (except for censorship reasons).

Here are a couple of reasons why it's a bad idea:

Many times a thread has initially had three posts. The first from a learner, the second from another non-native learner offering the wrong answer; and a third from the OP offering profuse thanks for the (wrong) answer, along with an indication that the OP was happy with that (wrong) answer.
    The original poster being satisfied with an answer is not a sign that the answer is right or that the problem has been resolved.

The site is meant to be about discussion. It is not just about resolving the OP's question to their satisfaction. There is often much more that can said on the subject which is useful, and which has been missed in the original correct but incomplete reply.

The OP is not always the best person to judge whether their question has been answered satisfactorily. Nor is the first person who answers. Nor is the second person who answers.... Nor is a moderator.

Locking threads smells of censorship.

It would mean that people in different time zones from the original poster and replier don't get to have a say on the topic, which might be quite interesting to them, and for which they might have unique insights.

It's a public forum. If people don't want extra, superfluous responses from anyone who wants to offer a reply, they shouldn't post.

This isn't meant to be a free service simply to answer an OP's question. Other learners are interested in the same question, and might not be satisfied with the response so far. The original poster doesn't own the thread. This is why it's a forum. If it were just about satisfying the OP, then learners could send their questions by PM to teachers, and get a personal answer. I don't work this way, because I don't believe that this is what a forum is about.
    Last edited by Raymott; 16-May-2011 at 20:13.

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I've noticed that sunsunmoon's threads have been locked for reasons that I couldn't figure out. Apparently, this is what's happening. I will not be participating in threads by posters who habitually lock their threads.

PS: I believe posters can also delete their threads after they receive a satisfactory answer. This is even more objectionable.

birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    PS: I believe posters can also delete their threads after they receive a satisfactory answer. This is even more objectionable.
    Is that true? I would like to learn how to do this. It happened to me more than once that I posted a thread with a wrong title. As far as I know there is no way of changing the title without creating a new thread. It would be beneficial to have a way of deleting the wrong one.

As for closing one's threads, I don't see a good reason to do it, but perhaps there may be one sometimes. Anyway, it's better to know that the option exists if one can refrain from using it unreasonably.

Tagging one's threads as solved seems rather harmless to me. While closing a thread can be obviously rude and probably usually is, saying, "I'm satisfied with the answer," doesn't seem potentially troublemaking to me. I don't think I'm going to use it, because I see no point to it, but if others want to, I see nothing wrong about it. Still, I'm not sure how and if it works, as I said earlier on.