Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Madagascar
Current Location
Madagascar
If one does not want to disburse some funds, does one hold the disbursement or hold off the disbursement?

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
If one does not want to disburse some funds, does one hold the disbursement or hold off the disbursement?
Welcome to the forums. I have started a new thread for you with a new title. In future please start your own threads rather than add your questions onto an already existing thread.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Re: take off or take out?

Hi Leo

Welcome to the forum!

With reference to your supplementary question, as a NES, but not a teacher:

I would not have personally not used the term "disbursement" in that context. I would have used the term "withhold payment" for any disputed amount (e.g. to cover shortages or items that are received damaged or don't work in accordance with the agreement with the "seller" - provided, of course, the sales agreement you have permits you to withhold disputed payments.

What you should not normally do, again unless the agreement allows you to do it, is withhold any undisputed amount, unless you have a very good reason for doing so. Such a reason may be that you can't use the rest of the goods without a critical missing component that they were required to supply under the order (e.g. an elephant that doesn't come complete with 4 legs would, presumably, not be what you ordered or had a reasonable right to expect!)

Hope this helps
R21

PS Admin: This post's title should also be changed to the new thread.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Status