Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question I'm letting my beard grow / grows

    Hello , this is my first paraticipation because I have troubles translating a sentence and was finding out how to do it right that I found this website, ok here I go

    I'm letting my beard grow

    I'm letting my beard grows

    Thank you very much!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: I'm letting my beard grow / grows

    Wecome.

    Only the main verb carries tense: 'am letting' is the main verb.

    I am letting me beard grow.

  3. #3
    M56 Guest

    Re: I'm letting my beard grow / grows

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Wecome.

    Only the main verb carries tense: 'am letting' is the main verb.

    I am letting me beard grow.
    !!!

    Error: I am letting me beard grow.

    Oopsss!

    I am letting my beard grow.

  4. #4
    M56 Guest

    Re: I'm letting my beard grow / grows

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Pérez
    Hello , this is my first paraticipation because I have troubles translating a sentence and was finding out how to do it right that I found this website, ok here I go

    I'm letting my beard grow

    I'm letting my beard grows

    Thank you very much!
    As MNY said on another site, it's based on "let + infinitive without 's.

    let the children play
    let grow
    let find

    Would you say "I'm allowing my beard to grows"? No, "allow to grow" would be correct.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Please recommend me something to study that

    Thank you, but I'm not able to understand yet :(, please recommend me some link where I can study it deeply.

  6. #6
    M56 Guest

    Re: Please recommend me something to study that

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Pérez
    Thank you, but I'm not able to understand yet :(, please recommend me some link where I can study it deeply.
    It doesn't really need deep study, just learn which verbs go with infinitives and which do not.

    Read this and create:

    let + object + infinitive

    Like make, see and hear, let is followed by object + bare infinitive. It cannot be followed by verb-ing:

    Let me carry that box of papers for you. It's very heavy.
    Why don't you let him walk home by himself from school now? He's eleven years old after all.

    Let is also frequently used in the expression let's (let us) to introduce a suggestion. Note that negative sentences with let's can be formed in two possible ways:

    Let's finish the video tomorrow, shall we? I'm tired and I want to go to bed.
    Let's not be late home tonight. It's Monday tomorrow after all.
    Don't let's get too stressed about this. I know the car is damaged, but it's only a piece of metal.

    We do not normally use let in the passive voice.

Similar Threads

  1. beard of bare
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-May-2004, 16:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •