Present perfect vs Present perfect continuous (natives only please)

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Oh I see. I didn't realise you are unaware of the use of "beggars the question".I do not expect you to take my word for it of course as I said in my previous post we can get language guidance from prominent and well educated native speakers as well as common usage. A google search which as is perfectly logical way to assess how many natives speakers use a word or phrase shows the term is in use.
Well, I am not a fan of google to settle questions about language. I have just googled "I ain't done nothing yet", and got 3,290,000 hits. I don't think that anyone would take this as evidence that the utterance should be recommended.

As to 'beggar the question', I googled that - and found very few examples, while googling 'beg the question' brought up many. A search on the more relevant COCA for 'beg/begs/begging the question' brought up 49/276/25 examples. My search for 'beggar/beggars/beggared the question' brought up 0/0/0 examples.

This would suggest that the natural idiom for native speakers contains the word 'beg', not 'beggar'. I don't deny that some people might use 'beggar'. Some people can mangle any expression. It might even have been common in your school, possibly as a joke for those in the know.

Status
Not open for further replies.