Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello, i am a 35 year old intelligent English male. I am considering starting a career as English language teacher and doing an intensive CELTA course at IH Budapest in July or August.
Question is will i be able to have a decent career without a degree?
I am not looking to work in China, Japan or anywhere like that. I would be looking at places like Eastern Europe or Central/South Amercia later on when i had some experience. Would i be able to do this?
Thanks for any advice
Jack

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Do you have specific questions that were not answered in the thread you started on 19 April, or in the link provided in that thread?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, i am a 35 year old intelligent English male. I am considering starting a career as English language teacher and doing an intensive CELTA course at IH Budapest in July or August.
Question is will i be able to have a decent career without a degree?
I am not looking to work in China, Japan or anywhere like that. I would be looking at places like Eastern Europe or Central/South Amercia later on when i had some experience. Would i be able to do this?
Thanks for any advice
Jack

It can be done, Jack, but you may have to pad your resume.

DannyIreland

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
China
Pad the resume, as in, you've had extensive training in the assistance of young learner's reading courses. Things like that. Improve on reality :)

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As from the the UK (I'm presuming you're a citizen of the UK), I think you can work in any EU member country without too much trouble. I also think that when job adverts state 'degree required' it's for the visa, not the actual employers wanting a graduate. Though how employable you will be I don't know.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There are teachers without degrees working in many countries. However, some countries and schools require a degree, so some doors will be closed to you. It also depends on what sort of city or town you want to work in- where there's more competition for jobs, employers can be more selective, so you might find it harder in capital cities than in smaller ones.

Psiconaut

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Can you teach in England without a degree?

I've got a EFL degree in Spain and a PG on research studied in Spain too and I've been told I couldn't teach a thing in England with these certificates.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you checked with Naric? They help with foreign qualifications in the UK:
UK NARIC - Home
Unesco have information on recognition of qualifications here
I am surprised that a degree from Spain might not be recognised- where did you hear this?

Status
Not open for further replies.