Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
This is a translation from Italian:

"I came back home in the dead of night. I was thinking: if my father sees me coming home so late, he will harshly scold me. However, I had no other choice: I had to come back home, hadn't I?
Nor could I spend the entire night walking the streets.
I had just come in when I heard my father and my mother talking to each other. They were in the living room and my father must have been really angry because he was wailing like a banshee. The more my mother told him not to yell, the louder he talked. Then I saw my father walking out of the living room: I pretended to be aarived in that precise moment, setting forth towards him with a smile on my face.
-I'd like to know why you came back home so late. I imagine you do like we to stay up until late, don't you? -
Of course, I didn't say anything and went straight to bed."

Thank you to everyone who will help!:)

JTRiff

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Canada
Not a teacher

Watch the quotation marks, they only surround actual dialogue. Don't use colons so casually either, they are usually reserved for a list.

I came back home in the dead of night.
I thought - if my father sees me coming home so late, he will scold me harshly. However, I had no other choice. I had to come back home, didn't I? I couldn't spend the entire night walking the streets.
I had just come in when I heard my father and my mother talking to each other. They were in the living room and my father must have been really angry because he was wailing like a banshee. The more my mother told him not to yell, the louder he got.
Then I saw my father walking out of the living room. I pretended to be arrivING AT that precise moment, (setting forth) walking towards him with a smile on my face.
"I'd like to know why you came back home so late." he said,
"I imagine you do like (we to stay up) keeping us up until late, don't you?
Of course, I didn't say anything and went straight to bed.

spotted frog

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Dear JTRiff, thank you for your precious help and advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.