Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Wales
Hello , could you help me with this short text , it has to be grammatically correct and linguistically accurate, I am not a native speaker so I could definitely use some reviewing on it as it is for the opening of a presentation so pretty important that it sounds right :) Thanks !

If you subtract all of humanity to a village with 100 inhabitants, while maintaining the proportional ratios, here's how the population of this village looks:
57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 Americans (North and South America), 8 Africans 52 women, 48 men, 30 white, 70 colored, 98 heterosexual, 2 homosexual 6 people possess 59% of global wealth and all are American; 80 homeless, 70 illiterate, 50 malnurishioned; 1 dies, 1 is born, has a PC, only 1 has higher education.
If one looks at the world from this angle, it will become clear that the need for inclusion, understanding, acceptance and education is the natural and obvious.If you wake up healthy in the morning, you are more fortunate than 1 million people who will not survive next week . If you have never experienced war, never faced the loneliness of the prison cell, the agony of torture and hunger, then you are happier than 500 million people around the world.If you can go to church without fear that some will threaten you,arrest you or kill you, then you are luckier than 3 million people.If you are full, dressed and have a roof over your head, then you are richer than 75% of residents of this planet.Ako have a bank account and some money in your wallet, you belong to 8 percent of wealthy people in the world.If you read this you're not one of those 2 billion people who can not read.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've made a start:
If you [STRIKE]subtract[/STRIKE] reduce/liken all of humanity to a village with 100 inhabitants, while maintaining the proportional ratios, here's how the population of this village looks:
There are 57 Asians, 21 Europeans, 14 Americans (North and South America), 8 Africans, 52 women, 48 men, 30 white people, 70 colored, 98 heterosexual and 2 homosexual. 6 people possess 59% of global wealth and all are American; 80 are homeless, 70 illiterate, 50 malnurishioned; 1 dies, 1 is born, 1 has a PC; only 1 has been through higher education.
If one looks at the world from this angle, it will become clear that the need for inclusion, understanding, acceptance and education is [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] natural and obvious. If you wake up healthy in the morning, you are more fortunate than 1 million people who will not survive next week . If you have never experienced war, never faced the loneliness of the prison cell or the agony of torture and hunger, then you are happier than 500 million people around the world. If you can go to church without fear that someone will threaten you, arrest you or kill you, then you are luckier than 3 million people. If you are full properly fed?, adequately (?) dressed and have a roof over your head, then you are richer than 75% of the residents of this planet. Ako ? have a bank account and some money in your wallet, you [STRIKE]belong to[/STRIKE] are in the 8 percent of wealthy people in the world. If you [STRIKE]read[/STRIKE] are reading this, you're not one of those 2 billion people who can not read.
The sentence in red is not clear. Do you want to say that one dies and one is born every second/minute?

amilia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Wales
The sentence in red is not clear. Do you want to say that one dies and one is born every second/minute?

I want to say that for every one that dies one is born not specifically every second, how shall I put it :-?

An for': ' If you are full properly fed?, adequately (?) dressed and have a roof over your head ' I want to stress the fact that you can afford to buy clothes , i.e. be dressed not necesserily 'adequately'

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.