Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
"It's a great car, although it's a bit expensive on the petrol."

How can you explain that phrase?

"It's a great car, although it runs on expensive petrol" :)roll:??)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it means the car uses a lot of gasoline. It's miles per gallon is low, as Americans would put it. I think Europeans measure liters per 100 km, in which case the number would be high for this car.

It's "fuel economy" is poor.

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
Would Americans say "...it's a bit expensive on the gas"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think Europeans measure liters per 100 km

In the UK we say miles per gallon, though we have to buy our petrol by the litre.

Rover

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
In the UK we say miles per gallon, though we have to buy our petrol by the litre.

Rover
To the best of my knowledge the UK has never been considered as a part of Europe. Great politician of the UK, Winston Churchill said, 'We are with Europe but not of it'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
To the best of my knowledge the UK has never been considered as a part of Europe. Great politician of the UK, Winston Churchill said, 'We are with Europe but not of it'.
Whatever W. Churchill said the UK is geographically part of Europe, and since 1970 is part of the European Union.

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Whatever W. Churchill said the UK is geographically part of Europe, and since 1970 is part of the European Union.
Yes, you're quite right. But you're still out of EU zone and that tells its own story (here I mean the UK didn't replace their currency with the euro).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you're quite right. But you're still out of EU zone and that tells its own story (here I mean the UK didn't replace their currency with the euro).

We're not in the Euro Zone, that's correct. We retained our currency. But it is specifically called the EURO Zone, not the EU Zone. There is a big difference between the Euro and the EU.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to note that when Americans talk of the UK and note our similarities in language, culture, constitutional and common law, entrepreneurial spirit, etc. and contrast that with "Europe" the intention is to compliment, not insult.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
I would like to note that when Americans talk of the UK and note our similarities in language, culture, constitutional and common law, entrepreneurial spirit, etc. and contrast that with "Europe" the intention is to compliment, not insult.

A-ha! So now the rest of Europe should feel insulted! *going sulky and stomping her foot* :bad-word: ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A-ha! So now the rest of Europe should feel insulted! *going sulky and stomping her foot* :bad-word: ;-)

In addition, and without meaning any offence whatsoever, most people think of Europe as being Continental Europe. Poland would be considered part of Eastern Europe, old-fashioned though that may be.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
In addition, and without meaning any offence whatsoever, most people think of Europe as being Continental Europe. Poland would be considered part of Eastern Europe, old-fashioned though that may be.

*Looks around* France! Anybody from France to go sulky instead? That will at least tease the English ;-)

Eastern or not, still Europe. I know what you mean though. ;)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

I, and most of the British people I know, do think of Britain as being in Europe - and we think of Poland, The Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Austria, etc as being Central Europe.

However, I have to admit that I am probably not typical of British people, as I have lived and worked in Central Europe for a total of nearly twenty years. Most of the British people I now know have lived and worked in mainland Europe for some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.