Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello all,

I am due to start a CELTA course in 1 months time. I was given the pre-course task to work through about 5 weeks ago, which I have mostly completed.

The bits I am struggling on are the verb tense sections (simple past, present perfect, etc. etc.). I was wondering if there is a good website/resource where I can revise these. I have looked in grammar books and online, but am still not confident with identifying the various verb tenses.

I have tried to create a 'verb chart' to help me revise, I would be very grateful if you could take a quick look and see if it is right, and what you think to it eg. any suggestions.
verbpicture.png

Thanks for your help.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Is this chart to give to students or is it for you to revise? It's OK for revision although too much simplification can be problematic. There's also a mistake in the past continuous box.

The future is very difficult to simplify because we don't have a proper future tense, we just modify verbs and use other tenses to indicate the future. You might want to break up that section into different ways of talking about the future.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi,

Thanks for the help.

The table was something I made to try and help me revise (I have no students :p, I haven't started my CELTA course yet).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You might want to look at states as well as actions- the present perfect progressive, for example, doesn't always reflect the same with states and actions. We can use the progressive form with a state to indicate that it is temporary or may end.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Argh, its all so confusing!:crazyeye: Do they teach you this stuff on the CELTA course or are you expected to know it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Argh, its all so confusing!:crazyeye: Do they teach you this stuff on the CELTA course or are you expected to know it?
You'll learn a lot on the course - and throughout your career.

Status
Not open for further replies.