Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Could anyone help me with this question about “error identification”. Thanks in advance. Nutritionists recommend (A) that foods from each of the four basic groups be eaten (B) on a regularly (C) daily(C) basis.
I know that the answer is “C. regularly”. However, I don’t understand why can’t we use “regularly” (adverb) here to modify “daily basis”:?:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could anyone help me with this question about “error identification”. Thanks in advance. Nutritionists recommend (A) that foods from each of the four basic groups be eaten (B) on a regularly (C) daily(C) basis.
I know that the answer is “C. regularly”. However, I don’t understand why can’t we use “regularly” (adverb) here to modify “daily basis”:?:

For B to be correct, it would be "on a REGULAR basis", not "regularly".
"Daily" is, I believe, both an adjective and an adverb so could be used alone or with "basis".

Nutritionists recommend that food from each of the four basic food groups be eaten daily.
Nutritionists recommend that food from each of the four basic food groups be eaten on a daily basis.
Nutritionists recommend that food from each of the four basic food groups be eaten regularly.

We would not say "on a regular daily basis" as "regularly" and "daily" are two different descriptions of time. You are either going to eat food from the four food groups on a daily basis, or on a regular basis, but not with the two words together.

The following would be correct too:

Food from the four basic food groups should be eaten regularly, preferably daily.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's redundant. Daily is regular.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

(1) The teacher has given you and me an excellent answer.

(2) May I just add an opinion?

(3) I believe that for some native speakers, "regular daily

basis" would be considered "good" English. One could

say that "regular" is an adjective that modifies the noun

phrase "daily basis."

Doctor Smith: Have you been taking the medicine

every day, as I told you?

James: Well, I usually take it every day, but sometimes I take

it only three or four times a week.

Doctor Smith: What?!!! Do you want to get well?

James: Yes, sir.

Doctor Smith: Well, then, you must take the medicine on a regular

daily basis, not on an irregular daily basis. Do you understand?

James: Yes, sir.

Respectfully yours,

James

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Irregular daily basis' is meaningless to me.

'Regular daily basis' is commonly said, but 'regular' is unnecessary as emsr2d2 suggested. Actually, 'on a ...basis' is unnecessary; 'daily' does the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.