Thread: Snappy Peppy

Post Thanks / Like

Question Snappy Peppy

Hi! I don't know if I am in the right forum for this question. Anyway.... I was watching the movie High Anxiety (1977) starring Mel Brooks. I had no subtitles, and since English is not my native language (Swedish is) there was a thing that was said but that I didn't know what it meant. But I got interested enough to find a place on the Internet to ask.

The thing I didn't know meaning of was "Snappy Peppy". Mel Brooks' character says it when talking about the drink Bloody Mary that is served on aeroplanes. Here are the lines that are said in the movie:

Well, I don't like the Bloody Mary they serve on the plane.
    No, sir. It's too burning.
    They don't even put tomato juice, they put snappy peppy.
    Murray Weintraub, remember him?
    Morning, noon and night he drank the Bloody Marys with the peppy snappy.
    You know where he is now? Dead from that.

"Snappy Peppy"?
    Last edited by Figaro; 05-Sep-2005 at 21:18.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Snappy Peppy

Based on the context, I'd say Snappy Peppy is something like tomato juice. Did you know, if you add onions to a Bloody Mary, you get a Snappy Bloody Mary. Maybe Snappy Peppy is a brand name.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay! Thanks for the information. ;)
    If anyone else comes up with more info, then you're welcome to share it here.

Codyroo is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Snappy Peppy is in reference to Tomato Juice, but there is a "Joke" behind it.

At that time, there was a tomato juice product called "Snap-E-Tom". It was a spicy tomato juice that came in cans. On the can was a cartoon character of a man's body (wearing a mexican themed outfit) with a tomato head. On top of the head was a sombrero (a mexican hat, typically made of straw with a wide brim). The cartoon character was clearly designed to be "Mexican" and Mexican food is typically synonomous with spicy/hot flavors.

Back to the joke.

The name "Snappy Peppy" is a play on "Snap E Tom" with the name "Peppy" (or Pepe, which is a more common first name in Mexico) substituted for "Tom". It was a way to convey to the audience what product he was referring to without specifically naming the brand.

Several friends and I still refer to Snap-E-Tom as Snappy Peppy, and we giggle about our little joke, mostly because we all know the movie reference and we all know what "Snappy Peppy" is.

I hope this helps.

I've not put in 5 posts, so I can't put in a picture, do a google image search on Snap-E-Tom and you can see the can in all its glory.
    Last edited by Codyroo; 19-Apr-2010 at 17:22. Reason: spelling error

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good answer, Codyroo. I remember Snap-E-Tom as a common consolation prize on TV game shows, along with Turtle Wax and Rice-A-Roni.